`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
captured my very own personal michael jordan white whale...

not some new limited card by any means...I posted this over in the baseball forum where i post regularly  as an off topic post...now that it arrived in the mail today I figured I'd paste the whole post over here also where it fits in better Wink a bit of a read but hopefully some others might enjoy it!
-----------------------

not exactly off topic....but off sport I guess it should say.

and as a warning...long post ahead.... cliff notes in case you don't wanna read: pulled an awesome michael jordan error as a kid..been getting more errors of same card...wanted a 9.5BGS of the card...finally got it after like six months of prowling!
I should preface this with a lil background on a) why I wanted this card b) the struggle to actually secure it.

back around 1991 my parents ran an electronic repair booth in flea market,  so being a card collecting 10 year old I naturally spent my time buying and selling stuff from estate sales with my mom at the booth to earn a few bucks...to go blow at the card vendor Petes booth which is basically where I lived.   we would frequently play war with packs of cards and since I was a kid and just bought cheap low end stuff he'd always make sure i walked away with a decent stack.    at the time I was working on the 1990-91 NBA hoops set as I think they were like 50 cents a pack.

one day after winning a nice stack of cards (think we played war with about 10 packs each and i walked away with almost all 20 packs) i went back to our booth and started putting the cards in my binder..when I flipped to a new page i noticed a football card in the previous page..confused (as I don't/didn't buy football..had no interest in football) so i flipped back to pull the cards out to see what i had stuck in there... to my surprise...it was one card...  back side of the card..   1990 NFL pro set  pro bowl  reggie white card....front of card   1990 NBA hoops michael jordan!

needless to say i was absolutely thrilled, and was convinced this card would one day buy me a mansion.. needless to say my goals were a lil far fetched considering the next 20 years and the card market haha... but I stored it away safely and a few months back finally got it out and decided to get it graded.   low grade thanks to the horrible centering on the back  but 8.5 average on all others....  since then I have started collecting that particular card and any variation/error I can get my hands on. 

the white whale?  the BGS 9.5 of the regular card...not a rare card by any means but just not worth grading  so only 14 9.5s out there.    one has been posted repeatedly by the same seller on ebay for the past six months for $250 buy it now (lol) and they recently just upped it to $299 BIN

found another one (I check nightly) a few weeks back...ended up winning it...twice for $29.99 as the only bidder  but they had a reserve set for $100 and wanted nothing less...    noticed last night the seller relisted it yet again $100BIN/best offer  so mailed them and offered $30 yet again ... they countered for 35....and now it is finally mine!

this brings my total card count up to six for this particular card...3 wrongback errors (all with a totally different type error on the back! now i want a blank back to go with them ;x) and 3 different overall grades (yeah I am bored and they are dirt cheap so trying to get the different number grades now also)

Wink

Jonny Venters - Super Collector
Overall Collection (113/157 72% Complete)
base/parallels (85/85 100%)
1/1's (28/72 39%)

always looking for venters 1/1's and 2008/2010 low numbered refractors

thats awesome man, congrats!!!!!
[Image: 7966e60e-33ac-4de8-bdd9-1ba754cc86b5_zps67dad6ae.jpg]

RE: captured my very own personal michael jordan white whale...
this is an oooooold post of mine, but figured... I'd just tack onto it since i picked up another oddball print error to dd to this collection

picked up the following:

graded #65 card with the chicago bulls print missing from the bulls logo on bottom right corner... also picked up the #13 1991 hoops superstars jordan (still need to pick up a higher grade version of the sears card..if you have one that you believe would be a 9-9.5 with BGS hit me up!)

thanks for looking, total count on this particular card 8!
1/1's (28/72 39%)

I remember this Jordan Hoops card very well! Big Grin Back in the day I was soooo exicted when I got together with my friend after school and he traded me this Jordan Hoops card for something, can't remember what, but I didn't care, it was for a JORDAN!!! Oh the sweet ol days....

Congrats on your collection, I never knew these errors existed.
Thanks,
Giovanni
[Image: w9fcap.gif]
Beckett member since 12/2/05 but when the new site came into effect........ AKA SportsItUpCards

(02-12-2011, 05:49 PM)BAYLOR Wrote: I remember this Jordan Hoops card very well! Big Grin Back in the day I was soooo exicted when I got together with my friend after school and he traded me this Jordan Hoops card for something, can't remember what, but I didn't care, it was for a JORDAN!!! Oh the sweet ol days....

Congrats on your collection, I never knew these errors existed.
also an iconic basketball card for me that was the first set I worked on and completed that error was a biproduct of that lil collection and many fun weekends harassing the card shop guy day in and day out and basically living at his booth haha

always looking for any other variations/errors/misprints/BGS grades I don't have (looking for one of each BGS grade that I can find ) of this particular card.... and perhaps even other 1990 NBA hoops variations.

someone on ebay got 2 blank back 90-91 hoops #65 cards that I missed out on for 99 cents.... so if I could locate one of those I'd be happy
1/1's (28/72 39%)

update: looks like I may have got burned for this newest card.... by the ebay seller? nope! by the new location I live in. we just moved, not really into a bad part of town but definitely not good either... our mailbox isn't secure at all and visible from the road and sidewalk (where there is a lot of foot traffic)

over a week passed when the card should have been here..contacted the seller...shows it was delivered a week ago.... checked it out and it was delivered on a day in which the fiance and I were out for the entire morning/afternoon and didn't return home till about 6PM.

needless to say if the idiot post office driver left the package sticking out the top of our mailbox...someone snatched it

suppose to hear back from the post office tomorrow on their investigation chances are it will be bad news.

what a week haha
1/1's (28/72 39%)

(02-20-2011, 12:41 PM)johnxgodfree Wrote: update: looks like I may have got burned for this newest card.... by the ebay seller? nope! by the new location I live in. we just moved, not really into a bad part of town but definitely not good either... our mailbox isn't secure at all and visible from the road and sidewalk (where there is a lot of foot traffic)

over a week passed when the card should have been here..contacted the seller...shows it was delivered a week ago.... checked it out and it was delivered on a day in which the fiance and I were out for the entire morning/afternoon and didn't return home till about 6PM.

needless to say if the idiot post office driver left the package sticking out the top of our mailbox...someone snatched it

suppose to hear back from the post office tomorrow on their investigation chances are it will be bad news.

what a week haha
WOW! Sorry to hear about that.

definitely a bummer, trying to keep hopes up that after the investigation/when i talk to them tomorrow that it was mistakenly not delivered... however... the worker loves to leave mail just crammed out of the top of the box (nothing bigger than a letter fits inside without sticking out) and given it shows it was here the day we were gone all day.... my hopes are not too high that I will get this one haha

time to open up a new PO box I believe
1/1's (28/72 39%)

bumping, for other '90 jordan hoops variations/errors/misprints/etc!

1/1's (28/72 39%)

bumping from the dead. its a shot in the dark, but still looking for more variations of this jordan card as well as a nicer copy of the sears 100 superstars #13 card to replace mine with one just slightly dinged corner (not worthy of grading. want something more solid)
1/1's (28/72 39%)