IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uncut Sheets

RE: Uncut Sheets
How does one find a 5 year old thread?

Thanks for your reply. I "googled" -- "Uncut sheets" and the following thread appeared. I am interested in "cutting cards from sheets".
I recently read a thread on beckett about which grading services would actually grade cards cut from sheets. There seems to be a concern that cards cut from sheets is somehow cheating. (This is for for another thread.)

Over my 30 years of collecting..i have accumulated over 100 uncut sheets...most were included in magazines. After I purchased 20 1984 nestle cards and they all came back BGS 9....I thought...HOW CAN I DO THIS? or rather how did they do this?

Thanks Hector. (I was actually a partner on this site " Field of Dreams" years ago.

(03-03-2016, 07:32 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: How does one find a 5 year old thread?

Hmmm. I myself am no pro at cutting them but I'm sure someone here is proficient at it.

I see a lot of people advertising Box bottoms as "Uncut" sheets, just a little info to keep in mind when your on the hunt.

(03-03-2016, 07:54 PM)tradingplayerlots Wrote: Thanks for your reply. I "googled" -- "Uncut sheets" and the following thread appeared. I am interested in "cutting cards from sheets".
I recently read a thread on beckett about which grading services would actually grade cards cut from sheets. There seems to be a concern that cards cut from sheets is somehow cheating. (This is for for another thread.)

Over my 30 years of collecting..i have accumulated over 100 uncut sheets...most were included in magazines. After I purchased 20 1984 nestle cards and they all came back BGS 9....I thought...HOW CAN I DO THIS? or rather how did they do this?

Thanks Hector. (I was actually a partner on this site " Field of Dreams" years ago.
First you might try starting a new thread, as your question isn't really the same as the original question, and a lot of people will simply read the first post or two and not notice your reply.
Secondly and more so with regards to your question. There are different types of "uncut sheets". What most people consider as an uncut sheet is a full sheet of cards from a major vendor that came directly from the manufacturing process (i.e. they were intended to be cut at the manufacturer, but never were cut for one reason or another).
Another type is what is considered a magazine sheet/insert/tab, which is usually a 4 or 9 card sheet that sometimes have perforations and sometimes do not. These are typically promo cards and usually have something differentiating them from the regular cards, though sometimes they are 100% the same.
Next are box bottom cards, which were very common in the 1980s, as just about every box of cards had 4 cards on the bottom of the box that could be cut out. These cards are typically easily distinguishable from the regular cards (i.e. different picture, card number, or color scheme). Since these cards only came in uncut form, Beckett and every other grading company will grade them (though PSA sometimes adds the tag "handcut" to the label).
Finally you have retail product/package strips/sheets/tabs/box sides/etc. These are similar to the box bottom cards, except they were on retail products (i.e. Hostess, Drakes, etc.) and not baseball card boxes. Also, sometimes they were inserted into the retail packaging and not actually part of the box. These can contain 1 or more cards, typically all in a single row, and again the intent was to cut them out. Thus grading companies will also grade these cards.
If you were to cut them out, use a good paper cutter and not just a pair of scissors. This will give you a much cleaner cut.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Thanks for your reply. As HOF Collector stated "i'm not good at cutting cards from sheets either"---I was looking for suggestions on cutting cards from sheets (no matter what form they are produced in.

As HOF Collector stated "there are many expert and experienced members on this site that would probably rely w their thoughts. Thanks Hector.

My three 93) points:
(1) I have over100 uncut sheets...most were included in magazines.
(2)After I purchaed 20 1984 nestle cards (produced by Topps in full sheets of 40? cards).....they all came back BGS 9...
(3).I thought...HOW CAN I DO THIS? or rather how did they do this?

Now I'm lost. Oh well. Who's Hector?

Sorry...Hector is tradingplayerlots. (New to these treads but as long time Beckett member and subscriber. I was a partner on this site. Store name - Love of the Game...five years ago.) ) Hector,

(03-11-2016, 08:08 AM)tradingplayerlots Wrote: Sorry...Hector is tradingplayerlots. (New to these treads but as long time Beckett member and subscriber. I was a partner on this site. Store name - Love of the Game...five years ago.) ) Hector,
Oooohhh. I'm dumb. I just saw the "thanks Hector" above and thought you were thanking someone named Hector. My bad.

what is the value of an uncut sheet of 1998 Goodyear 50th anniversary Nascar trading cards