Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thurman Munson...

Thurman Munson...
Hey all,

I hope this message finds everybody well. I originally posted this in the vintage cards section, but I thought I'd try my luck here as well.

I was wondering if anybody on this forum might know who the original photographer was for the 1971 Topps Thurman Munson card. For those of you unfamiliar with the image, here's a scan:

[Image: Munson.jpg]

The photo has always been a favorite of mine, and I would very much love to track down a high-res photo of it. Though, it's not necessarily for display purposes.

I am an artist who specializes in painting historical baseball scenes, most of which lie in the first half of the 20th century. Being a stickler for historical accuracy, these kinds photos are invaluable resources for my work, especially since blowing the images up from small cards isn't really an option. Lately, I feel like I've been getting into depicting more modern (or, modern for me) players, and I couldn't think of many images I would rather paint than this particular one.

Anywho, certainly ANY information you can provide is greatly appreciated. Here are some examples of my work to give you an idea of what I do.

[Image: Ty_Cobb_1908_April_14.jpg]
Ty Cobb, April 14, 1908, 40" x 62"

[Image: Christy_Mathewson_1911.jpg]
Christy Mathewson, 1911, 26" x 36"

[Image: Lou_Gehrig_1936_Portrait_Conlon.jpg]
Lou Gehrig, 1936, 16" x 20"

[Image: Ted_Williams_1939_May_30.jpg]
Ted Williams, May 30, 1939, 34" x 62"

[Image: Willie_Mays_1955_Portrait.jpg]
Willie Mays, 1955, 9" x 12"

[Image: Derek_Jeter_2000.jpg]
Derek Jeter, 2000, 11" x 14"

Thanks everyone!

Graig

RE: Thurman Munson...
Wow those look amazing! I wish I could get a painting of yours
[Image: 2013%20Ginter%20Signature_zpsraq8vd9t.jpg]

Wow, those are insane. Call topps.

Wow I wish I had your talent. Amazing Smile
[Image: Untitled_zpsec8eef53.jpg]

I be collecting BGS Jeter RC's & Tom Seaver (Mets Uniform) Autos/Patches

My PC Bucket.

http://s944.photobucket.com/albums/ad281/mjkata78/

Those are amazing, and I would love to display one on my wall. As for the question, I'm pretty sure Topps archives all they're photos. They should definitely have the original, or at least the photographer who took it.

I would die to have that Mays man. These are great pieces of art. If you ever sell your work let me know. I am poor but would try hard to raise funds for an artwork like these.
[Image: broockerd_zpsd0d55e86.png]
Kila Ka'aihue 133/138 Non 1/1s (96% complete) 13/64 1/1s (19% complete)
Auto Needs: http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1529244.html

WOW you my friend are oozing with artistical talent simply amazing work

the jeter is awweessoomeee...do you sell your work? I like others would be very intrested..

as for your question as mentioned the topps archives would be my best suggestion as well..

you should share some more pics of your work, everyone should see that kind of talent IMO

I am a former art student and couldn't come close to doing that type of work. Amazing bro! You should be able to contact topps to find out. I'm sure they have that info or even the original print. Good luck & keep up the great work!
[Image: 9tnms3F.png]
Collecting Tom Brady, Rob Gonkowski, Mike Trout and Baseball HOF Relics

Those are great! I would love the Ty Cobb on my living room wall. And Ted Williams smiling is a rare sight. Great work! Do you have a web site?

I would think Topps would own clear rights to photos on their cards, it would be a nightmare to have to pay royalties on an image that is so massively reproduced.

Good luck finding the shot, that woukd make an amazing piece based on your work above.