`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are people against BGS?

RE: Why are people against BGS?
(05-22-2012, 06:16 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: I'm pretty curious, do you have a bucket with your PC? I'm under the impression that it's a great one to look at.
I feel complimented Smile It's one of my goals to get a bucket going, just seems like I never have time to get it started. Just need to start chipping away at it.

I have to tell you, when you shared that you had wiped your slate clean, it motivated me to do a little house cleaning and start narrowing my focus. Instead of chasing 30 or 40 different collections, I'm keeping under 10, and mostly off the beaten path stuff, like the "66 Venezuelan set our fine Cleveland enthusiast SonnyDay mentioned. I could probably be closer than 60% complete, had I not been tempted by every 60s & 70s Topps set out there. I'm also going to start aiming for more pre-war which I believe you're a fan of.
(05-22-2012, 07:01 PM)sonnyday Wrote: He's got the velenzualen cards if I remember correctly. Would love to start working on that set but I need to finish 51 bowman first and stop my hoarding of 90's basketball inserts.
You are correct sir. I w/ you on the hoarding. I started but managed to stop hoarding Topps Sterlings, Triple Threads, and Tributes of vintage HOFers which derailed me a bit. I was caught up in the excitement of seeing all those older players I liked on these newer (to me) cards. Before that, I could never turn away from a bargain common from the 50's - 70's whether I needed it or not.
Twitter: @Coimbre21 - Collecting Carl Yastrzemski Topps, Jimmie Foxx, 1966 Topps Venezuelan, 2010 Topps Tribute HOF Relics & Autos, L.A. Rams Autos

(05-22-2012, 10:02 PM)coimbre 21 Wrote: I feel complimented Smile It's one of my goals to get a bucket going, just seems like I never have time to get it started. Just need to start chipping away at it.

I have to tell you, when you shared that you had wiped your slate clean, it motivated me to do a little house cleaning and start narrowing my focus. Instead of chasing 30 or 40 different collections, I'm keeping under 10, and mostly off the beaten path stuff, like the "66 Venezuelan set our fine Cleveland enthusiast SonnyDay mentioned. I could probably be closer than 60% complete, had I not been tempted by every 60s & 70s Topps set out there. I'm also going to start aiming for more pre-war which I believe you're a fan of.
Well, I've started to wipe the slate clean anyway. I've kind of pulled back some (as I figured I probably would) and don't plan on getting rid of it all. I will keep my T206s, '34 Goudey, and '52 Topps on top of some key other cards I have. When all is said and done, I should only have no more than 200 cards on hand, more likely around 75-100. There will also be a few other cards I'll keep as well and want to send in to be graded for the PC. But otherwise, my three projects should keep me occupied for a long time!

My only issues with BGS lately have been the quality of the slabs that I've received after grading. I've had slabs returned with cracked or chipped cases which could have occured during transit, horrible scuff marks (on what should be a transparent, clean new case), and off centered labels where the label is actually encapsulated at an angle if that makes sense. How a slab could leave their hands in anything less than mint condition is unacceptable for me. I continue to use them, but I can certainly see how the quality of the slab, not the design/functionality, but quality of the slab is better from other companies. BGS seems to be overworked and rushing stuff out the door.
[center][url=http://s491.photobucket.com/albums/rr273/bballcardkid/prospects/?al
bumview=slideshow]Prospect Collection[/url] [Image: 4b2e33fc-1-1-1.jpg][/center]