`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When Top Loaders go BAD

When Top Loaders go BAD
I was going through some old boxes and ran across some cards from 2003-04. The top loaders for these cards have all gone bad. The plastic has yellowed like Austin Power's Teeth.

A few questions-

(1) Why does the top loader plastic yellow and brown?
(2) Is this fate of acetate cards and UD Glass Trilogy cards too? Those are plastic clear cards.
(3) Ultra Pro One Touch Magnet Holders. Do those yellow over time too?

Anyways here are the scans of the Tartar Stained top loaders. Back in 2003-04 these top loaders holding these rookie cards were nice and clear. Not the case in 2013. Their a cigarette stained teeth color now.

[Image: 756D88B8-B185-49B5-B970-9AE76AA8E1D7-475...023678.jpg]

[Image: img029_zps4ed0a9c2.jpg]

RE: When Top Loaders go BAD
those must have been cheap toploaders. i have ultra pro loaders that are almost 20 years old and they havent yellowed.
[Image: 7966e60e-33ac-4de8-bdd9-1ba754cc86b5_zps67dad6ae.jpg]

(10-14-2013, 05:42 PM)pingbling23 Wrote: those must have been cheap toploaders. i have ultra pro loaders that are almost 20 years old and they havent yellowed.
Agreed! Also as long as they used decent quality acetate they should be fine!
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75

I have to agree with Pingbling. While I haven't had cards in toploaders as long as he wrote, I've had cards in toploaders since 2002. But every supply I buy is *always* Ultra Pro. Whether it be the 9 pocket pages to use in binders, penny sleeves, assorted size toploaders, divider tabs, magnetic cases and team bags. I've never come across a supply that turned yellow on me through all these years.
If the toploaders you bought were Ultra Pro then I don't know. Do you smoke in your place a lot? Maybe the cig. smoke got to it?
Inconstancy is my very essence says the wheel Rise up on my spokes if ya like but dnt complain wen ya cast back down into the depths Good times pass away but then so do the bad Mutability is our tragedy but its also our hope The worst of times like the best are always passin away http://www.photobucket.com/vgqv

(10-14-2013, 05:42 PM)pingbling23 Wrote: those must have been cheap toploaders.  i have ultra pro loaders that are almost 20 years old and they havent yellowed.
Have Ultra Pro top loaders in use and still in the sealed package yellowed
Kept away from light and in air conditioning
I assume Ultra Pro will not replace them
Have they said anything about preventing this from happening in the future?

Thank You

I have had many trades arrive with yellowed toploaders but do not have any of mine turn yellow (Ultra Pro).

I assumed smoker or cheap versions.

How do people find these threads?

(11-13-2023, 03:43 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: How do people find these threads?
First post of someone listed as having been a member since 2006 too!

(11-13-2023, 03:43 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: How do people find these threads?
You can do a search of word or words that lead to topics or posts with them.

Seems like something to do when I am bored!

It still seems crazy. I have had some yellow top loaders in my day. People like sending them to me in trades. I don't think I have ever had one yellow that I owned for a long time.