`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What cards are you grading?

What cards are you grading?
To put you in context, my father used to collect sports car..... well sports everything. When he died, we were left with around 500 000 cards but the biggest problem is that when he was alive, he never took an inventory of them.

I have around 15 Mario Lemieux RC, 7 Patrick Roy RC, 5 Greztky RC, and more and more and more. Since it's kind of obvious that graded cards are beeing sold more than non graded cards, I'm wondering what kind of cards are you sending to grade. Are you sending only RC ones and signed ones but also other stars cards that are not RC?

Thank you

RE: What cards are you grading?
Unfortunately, there's no hard and fast rule. Some of the cards you mentioned, like Gretzky RCs, should probably be graded not only for the grade, but also for the sake of authenticity. Most RCs sell better in high grade as opposed to raw, so you should look over each card carefully for condition. Poor condition cards (other than ones like the Gretzky situation I mention above) usually aren't worth spending the grading fee on.

When it comes to non-rookie cards, you just have to do research on the particular card. Is it a rare insert? Do completed sales reflect a premium for graded versions? Sounds like it could be time consuming, but I always love sorting/going through old collections. Enjoy!
Album: Album

1997 Donruss Preferred Precious Metals
1997 Topps Gallery Gallery of Heroes

In your situation, I'd look for the most valuable and collectible cards. RC's, rare inserts, etc. Then CAREFULLY inspect them, and take a look for any historical data for graded versions if you can find any. IF the card measures up for grading and it's a collectible player/card, then I'd submit. I think that as long as you grab a 9 or better for modern cards (think 1990+) then you can't go wrong unless it's just in terrible shape.

Just did a quick search. The Gretzky RC's.......these ought to wet your appetite:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/79-80-OPC-WAYNE-...4ace824dc3

This one, look at the price, but look how many are tracking it too:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-80-WAYNE-GR...35c49cbfd6

I'd say first sort, inventory, and get the collection straightened out. That's going to be pretty neat to go through all that.

(01-10-2014, 12:45 PM)fast93bird Wrote: In your situation, I'd look for the most valuable and collectible cards. RC's, rare inserts, etc. Then CAREFULLY inspect them, and take a look for any historical data for graded versions if you can find any. IF the card measures up for grading and it's a collectible player/card, then I'd submit. I think that as long as you grab a 9 or better for modern cards (think 1990+) then you can't go wrong unless it's just in terrible shape.

Just did a quick search. The Gretzky RC's.......these ought to wet your appetite:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/79-80-OPC-WAYNE-...4ace824dc3

This one, look at the price, but look how many are tracking it too:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-80-WAYNE-GR...35c49cbfd6

I'd say first sort, inventory, and get the collection straightened out. That's going to be pretty neat to go through all that.
I have a question here. I'm not a hockey fan, but like to read threads like this to grade or not. I looked at the second Gretsky card. How in the heck did it receive a 9 with those edges???? And this is where, not being a hockey collector, I don't know for sure, were the edges supposed to look like that?????
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

I don't think they're supposed to look like that. I haven't looked into BVG grading criteria so I'm not sure, but I definitely wouldn't think that those edges get a 9.

(01-10-2014, 04:58 PM)fast93bird Wrote: I don't think they're supposed to look like that. I haven't looked into BVG grading criteria so I'm not sure, but I definitely wouldn't think that those edges get a 9.
I've seen a lot of cards that look like this, but I've always expected that it would reduce their grade, due to poor cutting. I'm actually glad to see the card getting a higher grade with it, reflecting the cutting practices at the time, as maybe it'll lead to fewer people trimming off the fuzz to achieve higher grades.
PC: Scottie Pippen(active years), Fleer master sets (all inserts/parallels,  base Fleer only),
Bucket Updated  10/21: http://s890.photobucket.com/user/carrollm09/library/ (extremely outdated, who even uses photobucket anymore?!)

I believe with BVG they are more leinient towards certain defect of certain brands. If edges are a known common issue it very well could be not graded as harshly on edges.
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

(01-12-2014, 10:44 AM)branesergen Wrote: I believe with BVG they are more leinient towards certain defect of certain brands. If edges are a known common issue it very well could be not graded as harshly on edges.
+5000
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(01-10-2014, 04:44 PM)bamyanks Wrote: I have a question here. I'm not a hockey fan, but like to read threads like this to grade or not. I looked at the second Gretsky card. How in the heck did it receive a 9 with those edges???? And this is where, not being a hockey collector, I don't know for sure, were the edges supposed to look like that?????
I don't do a ton of hockey but I do know OPC is known for those rough cuts and as far as I've seen neither BGS or PSA score down for that. I actually love the look of those rough cuts!

(01-10-2014, 04:44 PM)bamyanks Wrote: I have a question here. I'm not a hockey fan, but like to read threads like this to grade or not. I looked at the second Gretsky card. How in the heck did it receive a 9 with those edges???? And this is where, not being a hockey collector, I don't know for sure, were the edges supposed to look like that?????

Actually the popular phrase about O PEE CHEE (OPC) items is:

" OPC cards, like any proper Canadian woman, should exhibit fur around the edgesSmile "

OPC items are cut rough because piano wire was used to cut them at the time, creating rather rough edges due to a lack of sharpness of the wire itself .

If your seeing an OPC item without rough edges that item was sheet cut plain & simple. They are inside plenty of graded slabs but purists generally gravitate towards the rough cuts as being more "genuine" real deal OPC pack issues and many prefer not buying sheet cut OPC items. To each their own I always say.

Hope this helps--
Jeff