`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Success at card shows?

Success at card shows?
I am just curious if any of you do card shows at all and how successful were you? We are a very different niche from everyone at the card shows I used to go to so I am wondering how it would go if I were to go to one. Obviously I know it will vary by area but if the consensus is good or bad that would still help me decide. Thanks!

RE: Success at card shows?
I'm from Pittsburgh, PA and I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a card show advertised coming to town. I'd love to go to one that would be fairly close. I'm thinking the MMA scene would do fairly well if you were looking to buy. It seems the people I talk to on the boards, state, that the dealers aren't really into trading or buying, just looking to unload their items.
 photo coolsignature_zps2fe4f593.jpg

(04-07-2014, 09:02 PM)akellington Wrote: I'm from Pittsburgh, PA and I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a card show advertised coming to town. I'd love to go to one that would be fairly close. I'm thinking the MMA scene would do fairly well if you were looking to buy. It seems the people I talk to on the boards, state, that the dealers aren't really into trading or buying, just looking to unload their items.
We have a lot of card shows in St. Louis. Unfortunately, unless there's a signer I want to meet, I do most of my transactions on-line. I agree, though, most of the dealers at shows are looking to sell.
I'm fdgowin all across the internet!

When I was saying I was thinking about doing a card show I meant as a dealer. Sorry I was not more clear. I am just concerned I am going to buy display cases, drive 4 hours, pay for a table and then not sell anything.

(04-15-2014, 05:44 AM)ragebkd Wrote: When I was saying I was thinking about doing a card show I meant as a dealer. Sorry I was not more clear. I am just concerned I am going to buy display cases, drive 4 hours, pay for a table and then not sell anything.
I thought that's probably what you meant. I haven't done a show this century; it's probably been at least 15 years since I set up at a show. Unfortunately, you have to consider your time and other costs into the equation to compute your true break-even. On the other hand you could make some great contacts or sell-out. If you do set-up, don't leave early. Sometimes the people who come in late just want to buy something, and if you're already packed up, you might miss out.
I'm fdgowin all across the internet!

In my area (Southern California) we have scheduled card show twice a week....Selling is hit and miss...often depends on who is signing autographs to draw in the crowds.

As a dealer I find more value in actually "buying" collections or cards from people who just broke packs/boxes and are looking to get some money back to buy more or something different.

I do trade while I am there too....but fdgowin is right...you have to measure your time into the equation. I agree with his "connections" comment as well...I make a lot of deals with other dealers...as the more people you know the more places to buy/sell with.

Best of Luck.
[Image: Zg60sg4.png]