`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Press Pass Is All Done

Press Pass Is All Done
Wtf this is terrible, if you have not seen Press Pass is closing its doors.
[Image: OKimtze.png]

RE: Press Pass Is All Done
When/where did you hear/read this? It's been a rumor for a couple of months now.

Yep, I already heard too. I'm pretty bummed out about it. Will any other company pick up the brand? Upper Deck again? Panini? I need my NASCAR cards!
COLLECTING: St Louis Cardinals -- NASCAR: Jamie McMurray, Kyle Larson, Rusty Wallace, Austin & Ty Dillon -- KU Jayhawks in the Pros (NBA & NFL) -- Non-Sports

(01-02-2015, 09:03 PM)Mikarlo Wrote: Yep, I already heard too. I'm pretty bummed out about it. Will any other company pick up the brand? Upper Deck again? Panini? I need my NASCAR cards!
I hope I'm wrong but I don't think anyone will , at least not for awhile.

(01-02-2015, 09:00 PM)spazmatastic Wrote: When/where did you hear/read this? It's been a rumor for a couple of months now.
It was on Facebook today , it was from beckett.

(01-02-2015, 11:24 PM)minitracer Wrote: It was on Facebook today , it was from beckett.
Yeah, I found it on here in the NEWS section. I do think another company will jump in, but it will be awhile before we see any new products. I'd say the earliest we could see something new would be July/August. If someone does make some NASCAR cardsin 2015, the first release would probably be very limited in the # of drivers. They'll probably only take 20 or so top-tier/highly popular drivers and make a small set to test the waters. It would take much longer for them to start adding less popular drivers and other team personnel.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Panini attempt to get the contracts they need to make a NASCAR product. Personally, I would like to see Upper Deck get back into making them. They have always had such great card designs.

(01-02-2015, 09:03 PM)Mikarlo Wrote: Yep, I already heard too. I'm pretty bummed out about it. Will any other company pick up the brand? Upper Deck again? Panini? I need my NASCAR cards!
This idea kinda scares the -BLANK- out of me. Nothing I'd hate more than for someone to buy the rights to the name and start selling "Press Pass" products for $200-$300 a box, with event worn, if that, items and sticker autos.

''I've never been in style, so I can never go out of style." - Lillian Gish ( 1
893 - 1993)

There is still nothing official yet but it does appear to be true. I do not think we will see a racing product for a long time.

With all the college licensing going on with pannini right now odds are low that they would be looking to get into nasar now. A couple of years ago oh yea but that time has gone by. Upper deck got out from what i have always understood because they couldnt deal with the licensing approval process. every driver had to approve every card also their spouses the owners the sponsors etc. Without a union to just rubber stamp all approvals there just was too much work and cost involved. ALSO you had to have a deal with every individual person in your set.

LEAF doesnt do licensed releases so they could possibly do cards of individual drivers as long as they never mentioned nascar or had the drivers in uniforms but how bad do we really want that product. Their cut autographs i have bought to have one of a driver but there is no picture just a cut signature.

Also the top drivers want to much to sign. when their autographs do not sell for what they are charging pers signature there is no business model that can really support that. I personnally beleive that NASCAR and the drivers have probably done more to hurt the hobby than we all realize.

NASCAR only cares about anything if they can get more rich off it. This hobby isnt going to make them rich but can be used to promote the sport. Remember back in the day when band aid and slim jim etc put cards in their products. One day someone woke up and said no presss pass you should pay us to put cards in our product. That killed that. People blame press pass for not marketing more but I know what they have tried. One former employee told me in charlotte they tried to hand out free packs to kids etc and were forced to stop. THE TRACK and nascar wanted paid to even hand out free samples. They couldnt do the nascar appreciation day events because its a fortune to set up there. Thats why they are filled with big time corporate folk. SOMEONE said lionel does it. Lionel has the benefit of its train business and that stature for many many years.

Thing is no matter what the reason for the demise its here and I cant see anyone in NASCAR stepping up to help us out. I hope I am wrong. Until there is a new product out there for us to collect I will be here and else where to find the holes in my collection. When they all get filled i will find a way to find more things from the past to build. I like diecast but frankly i dont have the room to collect them like i would cards
CANCER SUCKS[Image: AVLRCRSDC.jpg]

Ugh. Michael, you post makes me sad and afraid for the future of our hobby. Yes, I admit, a small break from the new stuff to focus on holes will be nice...but I don't want it to last forever! This hobby has brought me so much fun and enjoyment over the past few years...to think it's over, well, I don't like it one bit. Wish I had the capital to start my own card company!
COLLECTING: St Louis Cardinals -- NASCAR: Jamie McMurray, Kyle Larson, Rusty Wallace, Austin & Ty Dillon -- KU Jayhawks in the Pros (NBA & NFL) -- Non-Sports

I haven't collected racing in awhile, but that really hurts to see. Nascar makes for some really sick memorabilia cards and I always like Press Pass products. If they really close down I sure hope someone else picks them up.

(01-03-2015, 01:53 PM)shelbysaleen Wrote: There is still nothing official yet but it does appear to be true. I do not think we will see a racing product for a long time.

With all the college licensing going on with pannini right now odds are low that they would be looking to get into nasar now. A couple of years ago oh yea but that time has gone by. Upper deck got out from what i have always understood because they couldnt deal with the licensing approval process. every driver had to approve every card also their spouses the owners the sponsors etc. Without a union to just rubber stamp all approvals there just was too much work and cost involved. ALSO you had to have a deal with every individual person in your set.

LEAF doesnt do licensed releases so they could possibly do cards of individual drivers as long as they never mentioned nascar or had the drivers in uniforms but how bad do we really want that product. Their cut autographs i have bought to have one of a driver but there is no picture just a cut signature.

Also the top drivers want to much to sign. when their autographs do not sell for what they are charging pers signature there is no business model that can really support that. I personnally beleive that NASCAR and the drivers have probably done more to hurt the hobby than we all realize.

NASCAR only cares about anything if they can get more rich off it. This hobby isnt going to make them rich but can be used to promote the sport. Remember back in the day when band aid and slim jim etc put cards in their products. One day someone woke up and said no presss pass you should pay us to put cards in our product. That killed that. People blame press pass for not marketing more but I know what they have tried. One former employee told me in charlotte they tried to hand out free packs to kids etc and were forced to stop. THE TRACK and nascar wanted paid to even hand out free samples. They couldnt do the nascar appreciation day events because its a fortune to set up there. Thats why they are filled with big time corporate folk. SOMEONE said lionel does it. Lionel has the benefit of its train business and that stature for many many years.

Thing is no matter what the reason for the demise its here and I cant see anyone in NASCAR stepping up to help us out. I hope I am wrong. Until there is a new product out there for us to collect I will be here and else where to find the holes in my collection. When they all get filled i will find a way to find more things from the past to build. I like diecast but frankly i dont have the room to collect them like i would cards
I agree fully about hurting the hobby with the money wanted for autos. There is so much stuff out there that demand wasn't as high and we all know eBay drove prices way down ( good and bad).
I have been back in the hobby ( baseball and NASCAR) for almost 4 years now and the products I have seen have been amazing! Its funny when you take things for granted like amazing cards at low prices ( singles of autos and race used on eBay).
I guess like the saying goes " all good things must come to an end".