`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any recourse on this grade? I just don't agree with it.

Any recourse on this grade? I just don't agree with it.
Here's the card in question:

[Image: 0115151615_zps74f31477.jpg]

As you can see, 10,10,10,7.5..........I don't debate the card LOOKS off center. But.....

Here's the card overlayed with one in my non-graded PC:

[Image: 0115151610a_zps6aa9c322.jpg]

And various points of comparison:

[Image: 0115151610c_zps19194f25.jpg]

[Image: 0115151611_zps35d3c3b1.jpg]

[Image: 0115151610b_zps487133ad.jpg]

Point is they're ALL exactly the same. I had 10+ of these and every last one of them was exactly the same, same offset, same centering, everything.

Shouldn't Beckett take into account this fact when a card is graded? If ALL of the card are produced exactly the same, then how it's printed should be the standard and deviations from that printing should be dinged, not how the card actually looks.

Is there any recourse on this, way to get the grade changed, etc?

RE: Any recourse on this grade? I just don't agree with it.
Well, you can't get the grade changed. It says as much in the Directions for getting your cards graded. The only thing I know is to crack it and resubmit it.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

I agree with the op. I hate when cards that don't have a designated border get dinged for centering. And in this case, I don't think the centering takes anything away from the overall eye appeal of the card. It looks like a very sharp card!
I'm finding this problem more often with Skybox Premium Michael Jordan cards. The "premium" logo is almost never centered which obviously kills the overall grade.

If you haven't already, check the pop report on this card to see how many (if any) 9.5's and 10's have been graded. And also look at the ones that have already been graded and see what the lowest subgrade is. If it is in fact centering, then maybe you can bring that to Beckett's attention and maybe (just maybe) they can reevaluate how they grade this particular card. Just an idea.

just looking at bottom purple triangle, it's fairly easy to see the centering issue

(01-15-2015, 10:17 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: just looking at bottom purple triangle, it's fairly easy to see the centering issue
I agree it looks like a centering issue, but I seriously had 10+ of these from a large purchase I did a while back, and every last one of them was exactly the same. I would figure this would be factored in as part of the printing itself and not a centering "flaw" and they graded it.

I just checked the pop report and NOTHING came up, not even mine. weird.

(01-16-2015, 04:29 PM)fast93bird Wrote: I agree it looks like a centering issue, but I seriously had 10+ of these from a large purchase I did a while back, and every last one of them was exactly the same. I would figure this would be factored in as part of the printing itself and not a centering "flaw" and they graded it.

I just checked the pop report and NOTHING came up, not even mine. weird.

I just checked, its under "multisport." And yours is the only one graded.

Huh....cool. Learn something every day.

I would look at other cards in the same set, not just the one in question. are they all "off-center" in the same manner? If so, then that's just the style of the card and you probably shouldn't have been dinged for it. I actually LIKE cards that are specifically off-center as they look better, in my opinion.

I also think this is one of the instances where knowing the sub-grades actually helps as you can see that everything about the card is Pristine except the centering. So anyone who knows about this set would understand. Yes, it doesn't look cool to have it as an 8.5, but that's the way it is, I guess.