`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BV Questions....non graded vs. graded

BV Questions....non graded vs. graded
My understanding is that Beckett Pricing Guides reflect what cards are selling for in various markets, whether it be at shows, stores, or various online sources. Let me just say I'm not convinced of that.

However, what confuses me is situations like the following....1961 Topps Jim Brown card shows a some conditional non-graded values at higher prices than the same grades when graded by BVG.

So that tells me for example; people are paying less for a card graded NM than one selling as being advertised as NM but not actually graded? How does Beckett determine what a card is selling for at a given grade for a card that has not been actually graded?
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]

RE: BV Questions....non graded vs. graded
In my opinion old bvg isn't going to command the price compared to psa unless it's 9.5. I feel a bgs 9 in the modern stuff will generally rival raw cards if not be higher priced.
Looking To Buy BGS Graded 9.5/10 Chipper Jones...Contact Me If Selling

I will always buy BVG graded cards no matter the card. The reason they sell for less is because people dont want to pay what they are worth so their values drop. BGS cards have a superior casing and are superiorly graded. Most people have the idea that older cards should be graded on a curve like PSA does. A card that graded an 8 BVG will grade a 9 PSA. This is why graders grade so many more PSA slabs and they sell many more. The buyers are duped into paying more for a less superior card. Its sad but true.
As far as raw cards selling for more than a graded card, and how can beckett put prices on raw cards, the prices in tge peice guide are exactky that, guides, they are prices for Mint graded cards high and low selling points. Its like a range. Anyone that would buy an ungraded card for more than a high graded card is not a very good buyer or doesnt care how much they pay.
I will always buy BVG graded cards no matter the card. The reason they sell for less is because people dont want to pay what they are worth so their values drop. BGS cards have a superior casing and are superiorly graded. Most people have the idea that older cards should be graded on a curve like PSA does. A card that graded an 8 BVG will grade a 9 PSA. This is why graders grade so many more PSA slabs and they sell many more. The buyers are duped into paying more for a less superior card. Its sad but true.
Wanted: any 1989 Upper Deck cards graded 9.5 across the board or better.

(12-12-2015, 05:42 PM)cardariffic Wrote: As far as raw cards selling for more than a graded card, and how can beckett put prices on raw cards, the prices in tge peice guide are exactky that, guides, they are prices for Mint graded cards high and low selling points. Its like a range. Anyone that would buy an ungraded card for more than a high graded card is not a very good buyer or doesnt care how much they pay.
Here's a clarification on my point. In a price guide you will see a conditional value of X for a card considered NM. If that card is not graded, how do they know a card is NM? If they are simply reflecting what cards are selling for with the posted values, do they simply reflect a value of a NM cards based on that the seller says it was NM? If it's not been sent in for grading, they have no idea if a card is NM. As you know if you look on ebay, there are many cards described as Mint that by looking at the picture you know it would not grade anywhere near mint.
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

I'm not sure how to make sense of that response.
My Bucket - w/ PC & Up For Sale Scans (NOT BACK UP TO DATE YET)

(12-15-2015, 09:22 PM)the cardboard fan Wrote: I'm not sure how to make sense of that response.
LOL it was kind of rambling along wasn't it. My point is this, the price guide gives values on ungraded cards and assigns those values based on condition. If the card is not graded, how do they determine the condition?

The price guide is supposed to reflect what cards are selling for at various venues, card shops, shows, online etc. I'm just wondering how they assign a value for a MT card if the card has not been graded? How do they know it's a mint card?

I guess it comes down to how does Beckett actually get the values that they are publishing?

(12-17-2015, 09:41 AM)dmasci Wrote: LOL it was kind of rambling along wasn't it. My point is this, the price guide gives values on ungraded cards and assigns those values based on condition. If the card is not graded, how do they determine the condition?

The price guide is supposed to reflect what cards are selling for at various venues, card shops, shows, online etc. I'm just wondering how they assign a value for a MT card if the card has not been graded? How do they know it's a mint card?

I guess it comes down to how does Beckett actually get the values that they are publishing?
I think they give a range of pricing for cards in Mint condition, they are not prices for any particular card. At one time, before Beckett grading, and PSA and SGC, a savvy collector could tell what the cards condition is, so, if you had two collectors agreeing it was mint, they could make a deal for the card.

I see the same problem with coins, everyone is so dependent on the third party grader, they can't grade for themselves. Back in the day, cards and coins were bought and sold and everyone seemed to be happy. AND they didn't have grading companies to tell them the grade.

As an aside, I can go out and find a coin (say a Morgan dollar) and get a real gem, because grading companies do not take into consideration of the strike of a coin.

All I'm saying is, maybe we all need to get better at grading, and we could then pick out nice cards to get the nice grades. When we do that, the pricing guides for a certain condition will make more sense.
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

(12-17-2015, 09:41 AM)dmasci Wrote: LOL it was kind of rambling along wasn't it.
I, actually understood it just fine. I didn't respond because I didn't know the answer.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(12-17-2015, 09:41 AM)dmasci Wrote: LOL it was kind of rambling along wasn't it. My point is this, the price guide gives values on ungraded cards and assigns those values based on condition. If the card is not graded, how do they determine the condition?

No sorry, I was speaking of the response prior to yours. If you know the basis of how a card is graded or what factors go into it then like in the past raw cards are still determined by the hobbyist establishing what condition they perceive the card to be in. For instance I when I was bigger einto prospects learned to be able to submit chrome cards in that grade out as 9.5 or 10's almost every time. I do not believe I ever had one in that segment come back less than a 9 grade from BGS.
My Bucket - w/ PC & Up For Sale Scans (NOT BACK UP TO DATE YET)