`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Slabs????

New Slabs????
Picked up another BGS 9.5 on ebay for my collection (2008 Exquisite Super Swatch) and was completely caught off guard by the slab.

It doesn't tightly stack in any of my other BGS slabs on the bottom, and the top won't let another BGS slab sit in it. It is almost twice as thick as a normal slab, far thicker than any of my other heavy card slabs I have. So thick so that it will NOT fit in any of the custom wall mount cases I've made. So thick that the card/sleeve package actually rattles front to back.

Is this the new norm or something? I'm not too happy with this one because it completely throws the ability to display it in my cases out the window.

RE: New Slabs????
Sounds like the slabs I have been getting for my thicker cards of late like the Topps Dynasty. Mine also have some rattle to them fwiw.
Looking To Buy BGS Graded 9.5/10 Chipper Jones...Contact Me If Selling

I don't collect modern cards, but it does sound like it's for the thicker, swatch/jersey type cards. Those cards are much thicker than your average sports card which means the case has to be thicker.

(07-12-2016, 04:10 AM)fast93bird Wrote: Picked up another BGS 9.5 on ebay for my collection (2008 Exquisite Super Swatch) and was completely caught off guard by the slab.

It doesn't tightly stack in any of my other BGS slabs on the bottom, and the top won't let another BGS slab sit in it. It is almost twice as thick as a normal slab, far thicker than any of my other heavy card slabs I have. So thick so that it will NOT fit in any of the custom wall mount cases I've made. So thick that the card/sleeve package actually rattles front to back.

Is this the new norm or something? I'm not too happy with this one because it completely throws the ability to display it in my cases out the window.
It's nothing new. That's just the way the thicker slabs are. The thicker slabs will stack on top of one another. One solution to your problem would be to acquire more of them, and make a separate display case. Smile

John
[Image: ZZZBearsBanner1.jpg]
Lance Briggs and Brian Urlacher Supercollector

(07-17-2016, 07:08 AM)zubaltec Wrote: It's nothing new. That's just the way the thicker slabs are. The thicker slabs will stack on top of one another. One solution to your problem would be to acquire more of them, and make a separate display case. Smile

John
What I don't get is that the case is WAY too big for the card. I'll put a couple out of a case and get some pics, but I have thicker cards in normal slabs (several national treasures, certified, and various jersey cards that are just as thick), and this one is in a super thick slab with a ton of front to back slop room in it. I'm tempted to send it in just to have it reslabbed into a normal slab. I'll get pics later today to show what I'm talking about. I just got done with a 12 hour work shift and it's sleepy time, lol.

I know what you mean. I've had NT, Exquisites, Inception, and a handful of others at different times inconsistently come back in a thicker slab as you describe and then in other submissions come back in the traditional slab.

I have some 07 Exquisites that look like they're crammed into the bigger slab and the inner sleeve is ripping. But then I have some later year Exquisites (and National Treasures) in a normal case and they look to be resting comfortably in all aspects, inner sleeve and case.

It's quite possible, and I have nothing other than conjecture, that there are different people that put the cards in the holder and some days you get the person that can correctly get them in a normal slab and other times you get the person that errs to the side of the thicker slabs.

That said, there's some sets out there that are just not fitting in a standard thickness slab.
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram