`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Single card grade?

Single card grade?
I received an email from BGS about their new single grading service.

I had a look on the website and I couldn't find the costs for the new service. I found something on another website saying the cost will be $1 lower for each card graded without the subgrade and cards with a 10 will still get subgrades. Does that mean the costs listed on the website are now without subgrades as standard?

It would have been nice to get the cost info from BGS or have a link to it from the original message.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

I personally prefer the subgrades

RE: Single card grade?
My knee-jerk reaction to the announced Single Grade Service is one of sadness.

I am unsure how the cards will still be graded with the same high standards AND be an alternative grading option that's a little bit cheaper. It either admits that the additional cost to the consumer was unnecessary to begin with or that the two processes are different.

This also flies in the face of BGS Black. In that move, the elitism was promoted and celebrated. A Pristine 10 retaining its sub grades no matter what is acknowledging that the sub grades do matter. The Single Grade Service, to me, waters down the BGS identity further. Now the only differentiation is its encapsulation and footprint in my archiving system.

Maybe I am in the minority and collectors were tired of the idea that not all 9.5s were created equal. Personally, I valued the sub grades and the premium of a card that received higher subs across the board. The Single Grade Service seems unnecessary. If folks can not handle the scrutiny of their card on a sub grade, there were lesser grading services that could be used (including BCCG which is reminiscent of a Seinfeld clip).

I think people are taking the grades of the cards which they submit too personally and Beckett is catering to fragile minds that think the cards reflect themselves.

It will be interesting to hear the thoughts of others.

I personally won't do the new single-grade service, but I won't get pissed at Beckett for offering it. They've obviously had interest in something like this, and they want to expand their market to include people who don't want to see the subgrades (can't imagine why, but that's their cup of tea).

As for the single-grade being cheaper, which means it was overpriced before, I disagree. Maintaining sub-grades and printing them adds time/costs to each card graded. If they can simplify the process (guy looking at card still determines the subs before giving a final grade but just doesn't record them), then cheers for reducing the cost.

Cheers,

Does this mean that BVG will now be $1 less? I mean they have not given subgrades for years....I'm guessing a big fat NO
http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/dmasci/
Always looking for BGS or BVG graded cards for HOFers....especially the skilled positions.

[Image: DmasciBanner.jpg]

I am not a fan.

I recently picked up a newly graded 9.5 from ebay of a Chipper Jones 1993 Richmond Camera. This card is oversized. It doesn't have subgrades and when I entered it into my Registry it comes up without the grade and gave me 0 points which really lowered my GPA. Maybe it is merely a Registry problem but this is the only card I have without subgrades. Never had any vintage before either.

So now I am worried if I get other cards without the subgrades what will it do to my Registry.
Looking To Buy BGS Graded 9.5/10 Chipper Jones...Contact Me If Selling

(07-20-2016, 04:59 AM)dmasci Wrote: Does this mean that BVG will now be $1 less? I mean they have not given subgrades for years....I'm guessing a big fat NO
Maybe they'll start offering a Multi Grade Service for vintage! Oh wait....

(07-19-2016, 04:53 AM)ferraripower2005 Wrote: I received an email from BGS about their new single grading service.

I had a look on the website and I couldn't find the costs for the new service. I found something on another website saying the cost will be $1 lower for each card graded without the subgrade and cards with a 10 will still get subgrades. Does that mean the costs listed on the website are now without subgrades as standard?

It would have been nice to get the cost info from BGS or have a link to it from the original message.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

I think some of you are reading way too much in this. I really feel the prices listed would be for the subgrades, and if someone doesn't want the subgrades then the price would be $1 less. But, and this is a big but, I have not seen an official announcement from Beckett as to what is going on.

Why doesn't someone call Beckett Monday, and get the straight skinny from them? Then we would all know exactly what is going on.

I personally prefer the subgrades
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

I'm a customer of Beckett, right now I only have my cards graded by BGS/BVG but to me they are adding too many options to the equation. BGS grading, BVG grading, BCCG grading, multi-colored flips, the quad 10 black flip, and now a single grade flip.

It's similar to their forum, it's cluttered with sub-categories. Their forum could easily be condensed into a modern sports section, a vintage sports section and a non-sports section, then you have the Beckett grading section, Beckett vintage, the registry, autograph, magazine grading lol etc... sheesh too much damn clutter.

Having the sub-grades on the flip is one way BGS separates themselves from other companies. So now, collectors who like the sub-grades will now have to re-submit the non-subgrade cards to have then re-cased showing the subgrades, I'm sure that will generate a lot more revenue.... on second thought, maybe it's a genius idea lol.

But in all seriousness, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Good Afternoon,

I am sorry if this question has been asked before.

Would a BGS "single grade" card graded 9, "DEFINITELY REGRADE, with 4 sub grades" to a BGS 9?

I would like to think that the answer would be yes.

Thank you.

(12-19-2018, 12:42 PM)gfruchtman Wrote: Good Afternoon,

I am sorry if this question has been asked before.

Would a BGS "single grade" card graded 9, "DEFINITELY REGRADE, with 4 sub grades" to a BGS 9?

I would like to think that the answer would be yes.

Thank you.
I am pretty sure that they would do that, but they would charge you a "regrade" fee, which is basically paying to get the card regraded with subs. No discounts on that service.

It's similar to the Raw Card Review. BGS issues a grade and if the seal remains unbroken, you can have it slabbed with subs for a fee.

You want to be careful because the grading fees aren't cheap, and I would hate to pay 2X grading service fees, because it adjusts your cost base, if/should you ever want to sell the card.

Would make sense for a valuable OLD card though. High grades with good subs sell for more money.

Good luck,

Rob