`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Busch Penalty

Busch Penalty
I understand the dangers of having a tire break loose during a race. That could potentially be lethal for crews, fans or drivers. I think the current rule is a great rule and I am fine with it. I think they need to add a sentence to the end of the rule. (Does not apply under yellow flags.) Clearly Busch's team was not meaning to leave that tire loose. The tire changer just had the air gun spinning the wrong direction. The jack man saw him hitting the lugs....I think this this case the penalty does not fit the crime. What do others think?
Paul Goldschmidt: 634 Total Cards, 339 Different
Joe Montana: 325 Total Cards, 267 Different
Jerry Rice: 685 Total Cards, 618 Different
Steve Young: 942 Total Cards, 742 Different

RE: Busch Penalty
As long as there are Cautions and you can gain track position by improving pit times, there are going to be short cuts taken...trying to "regulate" these things by one rule is going to be difficult. if the intent is to only put four lugs on instead of five to save time, then that should (?) be a violation. Lugs that are loose are probably not done so intentionally...I do not know anybody that good with an impact wrench that can purposefully leave lugs loose like that. Leaving one off, that is one thing. Leaving them loose, doubtful.

Of course, there are ways to make sure that doesn't happen, like inspections...ugh...

Restarts are exciting, but I would prefer that the cautions not be so detrimental to the leader...
Looking for:
2012 Total Memorabilia Tony Stewart Melting
TripleĀ 1/1
Quad 1/1
Jumbo 1/1
Hot Rod Relics 1/1

05 Studio Portraits Bob Feller (45/56, 80% complete)

I collect Tony Stewart, Bob Feller, Steve Yzerman, Victor Martinez.

www.dunnere.weebly.com

Yeah, I can even get that NASCAR wants 5 tight lugs on the car. In Busch's case they didn't get any lugs on before he left the pits. In no way was it to gain an advantage. It was just the tire changers fault. When he was trying to tighten the lugs he had the air gun set to loosen and not tighten. I dunno. Just seemed like a server penalty for something that was not done to gain an advantage. 4 race suspension for tire changer and the crew chief.
Paul Goldschmidt: 634 Total Cards, 339 Different
Joe Montana: 325 Total Cards, 267 Different
Jerry Rice: 685 Total Cards, 618 Different
Steve Young: 942 Total Cards, 742 Different

I agree that it is a drastic penalty for the #18 team, but NASCAR followed the rules. I expect this rule will have an addition or alteration soon. The issue here is with the jackman and the tire changer. Those 2 should have been the ones suspended, but not really for a full month. The carrier and crew chief had nothing to do with the error. BUT, the crew chief should have told Kyle to stop and back-up back into the stall after he saw the tire changer fall down. Communication breakdown was the real problem in that pit stop.
There was a great point made by DW during this morning's practice. Kyle was in the #1 pit stall, so the tire came off well away from people. What if he had been in Johnson's pit stall at the beginning of pit road? That tire would have come off on pit road and went into other pit stalls. That could have been disastrous!