`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Give me your top 10 (+5) from each decade.
Lightbulb 
Give me your top 10 (+5) from each decade.
I am revamping my collection and will be focusing on Star players rookie cards. With that being said give me your top 10 players of each decade with no more than 5 extra as backups. Lets say the 70's -- Current for now and see how my budget handles that hit.
[Image: Ryan%20Milledge_zpsthyedlbp.jpg]

RE: Give me your top 10 (+5) from each decade.
Not sure how far back you want to go. These are just the best I can think of per decade (in terms of the year of their RC) that I can think of off the top of my head. There are definitely more, but I tried to stick to my top 10.
1930s: Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio, Ted Williams, Lou Gehrig, Rogers Hornsby, Jimmie Foxx, Lefty Grove, Eddie Collins, Hank Greenberg, Mel Ott
1940s: Jackie Robinson, Yogi Berra, Duke Snider, Satchel Paige, Stan Musial, Warren Spahn, Bob Feller, Roy Campanella
1950s: Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente, Frank Robinson, Sandy Koufax, Bob Gibson, Ernie Banks, Whitey Ford, Eddie Mathews, Harmon Killebrew, Al Kaline
1960s: Nolan Ryan, Mike Schmidt, Tom Seaver, Reggie Jackson, Carl Yastrzemski, Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, Steve Carlton, Willie McCovey, Lou Brock, Rod Carew, Joe Morgan
1970s: George Brett, Robin Yount, Ozzie Smith, Dave Winfield, Paul Molitor, Dennis Eckersley, Eddie Murray, Gary Carter, Carlton Fisk, Bert Blyleven
1980s: Cal Ripken Jr, Tony Gwynn, Wade Boggs, Ken Griffey Jr, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Kirby Puckett, Ryne Sandberg, Rickey Henderson, Randy Johnson, Greg Maddux
1990s: Derek Jeter, Mike Piazza, Ivan Rodriguez, Alex Rodriguez, Frank Thomas, Mariano Rivera, Andy Pettitte, Adrian Beltre, Jeff Bagwell, Vladimir Guerrero, Pedro Martinez
2000s: Albert Pujols, Ichiro Suzuki, Clayton Kershaw, Miguel Cabrera, Johan Santana, Joe Mauer, Andre McCutchen, Felix Hernandez, Jose Bautista, Justin Verlander
2010s: Mike Trout, Buster Posey, Mike Stanton, Bryce Harper, Paul Goldschmidt, Cody Bellinger, Aaron Judge, Kris Bryant, Anthony Rizzo, Jose Altuve, Carlos Correa

It's definitely tough to put together just 10 for the 2000s and 2010s, as there are so many players who are still playing and in some cases still very young.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(11-17-2017, 01:28 PM)djohn Wrote: Not sure how far back you want to go. These are just the best I can think of per decade (in terms of the year of their RC) that I can think of off the top of my head. There are definitely more, but I tried to stick to my top 10.
1930s: Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio, Ted Williams, Lou Gehrig, Rogers Hornsby, Jimmie Foxx, Lefty Grove, Eddie Collins, Hank Greenberg, Mel Ott
1940s: Jackie Robinson, Yogi Berra, Duke Snider, Satchel Paige, Stan Musial, Warren Spahn, Bob Feller, Roy Campanella
1950s: Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente, Frank Robinson, Sandy Koufax, Bob Gibson, Ernie Banks, Whitey Ford, Eddie Mathews, Harmon Killebrew, Al Kaline
1960s: Nolan Ryan, Mike Schmidt, Tom Seaver, Reggie Jackson, Carl Yastrzemski, Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, Steve Carlton, Willie McCovey, Lou Brock, Rod Carew, Joe Morgan
1970s: George Brett, Robin Yount, Ozzie Smith, Dave Winfield, Paul Molitor, Dennis Eckersley, Eddie Murray, Gary Carter, Carlton Fisk, Bert Blyleven
1980s: Cal Ripken Jr, Tony Gwynn, Wade Boggs, Ken Griffey Jr, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Kirby Puckett, Ryne Sandberg, Rickey Henderson, Randy Johnson, Greg Maddux
1990s: Derek Jeter, Mike Piazza, Ivan Rodriguez, Alex Rodriguez, Frank Thomas, Mariano Rivera, Andy Pettitte, Adrian Beltre, Jeff Bagwell, Vladimir Guerrero, Pedro Martinez
2000s: Albert Pujols, Ichiro Suzuki, Clayton Kershaw, Miguel Cabrera, Johan Santana, Joe Mauer, Andre McCutchen, Felix Hernandez, Jose Bautista, Justin Verlander
2010s: Mike Trout, Buster Posey, Mike Stanton, Bryce Harper, Paul Goldschmidt, Cody Bellinger, Aaron Judge, Kris Bryant, Anthony Rizzo, Jose Altuve, Carlos Correa

It's definitely tough to put together just 10 for the 2000s and 2010s, as there are so many players who are still playing and in some cases still very young.
I like the selection. You are correct it is hard to put just 10 out there. I updated the post to 70's -- current for the obvious reasons I will not be buying a Ruth, Foxx, Mantle...Rookie anytime soon.

I tend to agree with djohn from the 1970s to current although I would move Schmidt from the 60s to the 70s and I would give consideration to Mattingly in the 80s and Chipper Jones and possibly Manny Ramirez in the 90s.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I would add Trevor Hoffman to the 1990's list since he's going to be a HOFer in 2 months! Smile
All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

Thanks guys I will consider them part of the +5 of those decades. Very good info so far guys thank you. So my next question is am I setting the bar to high to try to only get graded rookie cards? I like that they will be protected from/for my kids from purchased to when they are theirs. Also I am thinking only a graded 9 or higher (as budget allows) for modern cards due to the amount produced, I want them to hold value somewhat.

Graded 9 or higher is a great way to go if your budget allows. The real fun comes in the 80s thru today, as there are so many rookie cards of each player to choose from. Picking the best of each player will definitely get expensive for some though.
Also, I wouldn't discount buying the older cards too. You just might have to settle for much lower grades, but sometimes you can find beautiful copies with lower grades (simply because of 1 flaw the brings the grade way down). I never thought I could afford some either, but when I started looking and was patient I was able to pick up rookie cards from the 30s-50s in lower grades (PSA 1-4) at decent prices. In fact some will end up costing less than the top rookies of modern players in high grade condition.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I know it's the homer in me, but Joey Votto was left off for the 2000s lol. I've been watching his 2002 Bowman Chrome recently. Prices are getting crazy for a PSA 10. The BGS 9.5 is getting up there as well. I'm glad I got my 9.5 when it was under 20 bucks. Long story short, I'd add him to my list.
Barry Larkin - 1781 different
Joey Votto jersey numbered cards - 283

(11-17-2017, 05:59 PM)djohn Wrote: Graded 9 or higher is a great way to go if your budget allows. The real fun comes in the 80s thru today, as there are so many rookie cards of each player to choose from. Picking the best of each player will definitely get expensive for some though.
Also, I wouldn't discount buying the older cards too. You just might have to settle for much lower grades, but sometimes you can find beautiful copies with lower grades (simply because of 1 flaw the brings the grade way down). I never thought I could afford some either, but when I started looking and was patient I was able to pick up rookie cards from the 30s-50s in lower grades (PSA 1-4) at decent prices. In fact some will end up costing less than the top rookies of modern players in high grade condition.
I agree with the lower grade on the older cards. I purchased a 68 Topps Bench RC in vg-vg+ for $25 not graded. I like Votto too I will make the add to my list. I will post a detailed list soon

Bump to the top. Does anyone else have players to add?