Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kahne announces retirement from NASCAR

Kahne announces retirement from NASCAR
Kasey Kahne to retire from full-time NASCAR after 2018
Autosport
Tom Errington
AutosportAug 16, 2018, 8:46 AM

Kasey Kahne will retire from full-time NASCAR competition at the end of the year, having turned down an option to continue with Cup series outfit Leavine Family Racing in 2019.

Kahne switched to Leavine after a disappointing spell at Hendrick Motorsports, winning just six races in his six-year spell with the multiple-championship-winning team.

His last Cup victory came at Indianapolis in 2017, ending a 31-month winless streak, and Kahne claimed to be "glad" he was leaving Hendrick with a year left on his contract.

Kahne has struggled at minnow outfit Leavine, which runs with support from Richard Childress Racing, during 2018.

He switched crew chief ahead of Sonoma in June and took his only top-five finish of the season so far when he finished fourth at Daytona two races later.

"I've thought about this decision for many months, if not longer," said Kahne on his Twitter account. "It's time for me to step away from racing in NASCAR full-time.

"I appreciate everything LFR has done for me this season and offering me the opportunity to race in 2019.

"However, racing in Cup full-time for a few more years was just something that I couldn't commit to."

Kahne added he was content with his decision, even though his post-NASCAR future is undecided.

"I'm not sure what the future holds for me, but I know I'm at ease with the decision that I have made," he wrote.

"The highs didn't outweigh the lows and the gruelling schedule takes a toll on your quality of life.

"I need to spend time doing the things I enjoy and love and that's spending time with [son] Tanner and my sprint car teams.

"I've had a great career in racing and met so many amazing people and fans along the way, some that I'll remain in touch with for life.

"We still have some work to do this year in the #95 car and I look forward to finishing the season with this team."

Well, I'm not really too surprised. In fact, one of the COMMENTS at the bottom of the article was: "Wait...I thought he was already retired."

Of course, if you can't run up front because your equipment is not as good as anybody in the top 15-20, then what fun is it?

I have been saying this for a while now, but the truth is that guys not racing for HMS, SHR, Penske, JGR, Furniture Row are never going to win a race...and if you have been around for 10-15 years and are not with those teams, you are just taking up a spot for a young guy who needs a ride in the big series.
Looking for:
2012 Total Memorabilia Tony Stewart Melting
TripleĀ 1/1
Quad 1/1
Jumbo 1/1
Hot Rod Relics 1/1

05 Studio Portraits Bob Feller (45/56, 80% complete)

I collect Tony Stewart, Bob Feller, Steve Yzerman, Victor Martinez.

www.dunnere.weebly.com

RE: Kahne announces retirement from NASCAR
I read this earlier too. I am also not surprised. I think if he hadn't left HMS, he would've still retired at the end of this season. I think he only raced this year b/c he didn't want his final season (last year) to be b/c he got dropped a year early.

Maybe Leavine is where JMac ends up now for 2019.

I just read that Kahne turned down an offer, or at least would not even consider an offer, from SHR for the vacant spot left by Kurt Busch leaving.

So even with good equipment again, Kahne is not interested in running any more. I think he figured it out that he is just not as good anymore.
Looking for:
2012 Total Memorabilia Tony Stewart Melting
TripleĀ 1/1
Quad 1/1
Jumbo 1/1
Hot Rod Relics 1/1

05 Studio Portraits Bob Feller (45/56, 80% complete)

I collect Tony Stewart, Bob Feller, Steve Yzerman, Victor Martinez.

www.dunnere.weebly.com

I think at some point it stops being fun and it becomes a job. Especially if you have kids and you want to be around more. Yeah they are only at the track Friday, Saturday and Sunday, but how many other commitments do they have during the week? I just think at some point you have made great money. If you have been smart, made good investments, and you are no longer having fun then why not retire?
Ohh I forgot to mention. Kahne might not be as good as the top three, but I think he is better than half the field. I know NASCAR is turning over and there are a lot of new faces. However, I bet 5 years from now only a few of the young guys pan out. Personally, I don't find most of them that exciting.
Paul Goldschmidt: 634 Total Cards, 339 Different
Joe Montana: 325 Total Cards, 267 Different
Jerry Rice: 685 Total Cards, 618 Different
Steve Young: 942 Total Cards, 742 Different

Absolute heartbreak for me and my family followed him since day 1
[Image: marksig1.jpg]
STAN MIKITA CUP FOUNDATIONS
MATT SMABY CUP PRINTING PLATES

BUCKET LINK

Hate to see Kasey go but understand why he is leaving.
I collect Michael Jordan, Larry Bird and Kevin Garnett also certain High End Celtics HOF's.

[Image: jordanbird_edited-1.gif]