`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1966 Topps Baseball - glossy?

1966 Topps Baseball - glossy?
Hi - I'm going through my 1966 Topps cards and I noticed two cards have a much glossier front, they are card #'s 230 - Johnny Callison and # 238 - Dodgers Team Card.

Did Topps make any variations in 1966 where cards had a glossier front?  It's very noticeable on these two cards.

RE: 1966 Topps Baseball - glossy?
What do the backs look like in comparison to the rest of the cards? Is there a difference in where the cards were printed? What are the numbers of the other cards?

Topps produced a 370 card Venezuelan set that had significantly less gloss than the Topps distributed in the U.S. It's possible you have a bunch of Venezuelan cards with two regular Topps mixed in. That or you just have two cards that managed to escape any kind of wear and tear over the years. The Venezuelan also look a little darker on front/back.

I tired posting a picture but the file it too big.  They are not the Venezuelan cards, I believe those back are almost black.  Maybe your right, they might have less wear and tear and the gloss level is still high.  Thanks for the response!

dompj Wrote: Maybe your right, they might have less wear and tear and the gloss level is still high.
That's the most likely case.  I've seen it before leafing through some cards from the 50s/60s at card shows and I'll stumble across random cards that have amazing gloss compared to the rest.  I often wonder about the voyage a vintage card has taken throughout its existence.