`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips/hacks on storage

Tips/hacks on storage
I am trying to figure out the best way for me to store a large amount of cards from a buying binge I recently went on. I think I will probably have 10,000 "keepers" that I want to keep for 20 years or so and then see whether they are worth anything and whether selling is somehting I could do. This is mainly a fun little exercise I came up with to test an inkling I have about the value of junk wax cards and the ability to obtain large amounts of them right now for cheap (and sometimes free). I would like to have something of value -- the impetus of this was the idea of having 1,000 cards worth $20 each give or take (obviously figuring out how to sell is another endeavor).

I figure for this to have any shot I know storage and protection is probably most important aspect of it all, and I need to find a method that is relatively economical and likely involving some do it yourself creations because buying 10,000 top loaders would be ridiculous and I am trying to set a rule of not buying anything new for storage (old boxes, plastic I already have, etc. are ok). I've got a soldering iron and have experimented with a couple methods but I am thinking the best way to do this is sealing individual cards in penny sleeves and then putting them into 5K count boxes (in addition to using top loaders/card savers for cards I deem to be the top of the heap). I think I am also going to wrap the boxes in plastic ultimately. I initially tried to use the 9 card pages and then cutting/sealing them into individual items, but I found this problematic because it was a little too difficult to create them to be similar in size enough to stack/brick together well -- the penny sleeves brick together nicely as the only small difference in size as to where I make the seal on the top doesn't appear to cause any problems when putting them together. I am afraid to use three ring binders because I have just seen too many cards damaged from being in them that I distrust that method of storage. I am thinking that my old box of Legos I still have could be used to build something too but that will be for another day because I need some solutions now.

I am wondering if anyone can advise of any reason why my chosen method is a disaster in waiting (the only difficulty I see is getting the cards out of the penny sleeves but I think I can deal with this), or share any particular tips/tricks they have come up that works well and doesnt involve buying much if anything. Any info on this topic would be appreciated. Thanks.

RE: Tips/hacks on storage
just saw this and i had a similar experiment in 1990 -- storing 2M junk wax cards....i put them in monster boxes (3K and 5K) and stored them in a dry area. Fast forward 30 years and they were just fine. Unfortun they are still junk momentos. Surprised that they retained their value but still no real appreciation.