Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Card came back damaged... Beyond livid.
Brick 
Card came back damaged... Beyond livid.
[attachment=14885][attachment=14886][attachment=14887]So back on 9/14, I sent 2 cards in to BGS to be graded on their 10 day submission. 

(cards shown below before they were removed from one touches and put into sleeves, then toploaders, then sealed in a team bag, and wrapped in bubble wrap and put into a bubble mailer.)

Cards were rec'd on 9/17, entered into the system on 10/9. Order showed in system on 12/18, graded and shipped on 12/29. 

I figured both would grade in the 8-9 range (thicker cards always score rough). 

One came back 8.5. Fine. 

The other came back 6.5 with a 5.5 edge score. 

That was baffling. 

I got the cards back today, and i am beyond angry. 

The one that had the 5.5 edge score is damaged. like very glaringly damaged. If it had that damage before it left, I would not have sent it. (Photo below) 

It didn't leave like this, and the other card in the packaged got there fine and wasn't damaged. If the USPS damaged it, more than likely both cards would have been damaged. and its only on the front of the card. 

So then WHAT HAPPENED???

Was it damaged at BGS? did someone drop it and not say anything, thinking that I wouldn't notice? 

To say I'm angry would be putting it nicely. 

Between the money I spent on the box, plus the price of the card and the cost of grading, I'm out $150. I cant sell it like that, and I don't even want it now. 

I have photographic proof it didn't leave me damaged. 

This has really soured me on using BGS ever again for grading. 

(first pic is cards I sent in before transfer, 2nd is the Hughes, 3rd is the Hughes after getting it back from BGS.)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RE: Card came back damaged... Beyond livid.
Did you put declared value on it when you sent it ? If declared was on the card, and its come back damaged and can be proven, you can submit a claim to them. Will take a while to go thru the process but claim will get paid.

Also while I see you had it in a mag touch- how was it sent in ? Take photos of that also ? Just wondering always curious. I overprotect stuff myself.

jeffv96masters Wrote:Did you put declared value on it when you sent it ? If declared was on the card, and its come back damaged and can be proven, you can submit a claim to them. Will take a while to go thru the process but claim will get paid.

Also while I see you had it in a mag touch- how was it sent in ? Take photos of that also ? Just wondering always curious. I overprotect stuff myself.
I pulled it out, put it in a penny sleeve, then a toploader, then a into a sealed team bag, then wrapped in bubble wrap and sent to a bubble mailer. I overprotect my stuff too to prevent situations like this. 

How do I submit a claim? I did put a declared value on the form.

Sounds from your own description your looking at damages most likely caused by the initial shipper chosen. I'm saying this because no way would I top load a thick item and send it to BGS/PSA/SGC in just that- its a recipe for disaster. Not trying to be negative -- just speaking from personal pain caused years ago when I first submitted where I just shipped stuff in not knowing how badly the freight companies abuse these boxes.

Did you insure it with the shipper you chose? Do you have ORIGINAL sales receipts? If so you can get paid by the shipper involved.
You can "try" and email them at askBGS@gmail.com and start that process but from the sounds of it- no grading firm is gonna take blame for what looks like original shipper damage from incorrect packaging protection.

Let me know how it goes.

On a personal level- see below

In the future just leave thick cards in the magnetic one touch. Worst possible thing ever was removing thick items for a top loader. Top loaders are specifically NEVER recommended by any grading service as they allow movement in them. Even worse than that was putting it into a bubble mailer--unless said bubble mailer was inside a hard cardboard box. One a personal level I send all my thick stuff in mag touches - I'll lose the dollar magnetic holder for piece of mind that its not going to be damaged en route.

When I get time I'll take pics of how I ship personally and post some up. Maybe it will help some folks. Both thin and thick methods.
Give me a few days will be doing some grading subs and will take some pics of the process I use.

jeffv96masters Wrote:Sounds from your own description your looking at damages most likely caused by the initial shipper chosen. I'm saying this because no way would I top load a thick item and send it to BGS/PSA/SGC in just that- its a recipe for disaster. Not trying to be negative -- just speaking from personal pain caused years ago when I first submitted where I just shipped stuff in not knowing how badly the freight companies abuse these boxes.

Did you insure it with the shipper you chose? Do you have ORIGINAL sales receipts? If so you can get paid by the shipper involved.
You can "try" and email them at askBGS@gmail.com and start that process but from the sounds of it- no grading firm is gonna take blame for what looks like original shipper damage from incorrect packaging protection.

Let me know how it goes.

On a personal level- see below

In the future just leave thick cards in the magnetic one touch. Worst possible thing ever was removing thick items for a top loader. Top loaders are specifically NEVER recommended by any grading service as they allow movement in them. Even worse than that was putting it into a bubble mailer--unless said bubble mailer was inside a hard cardboard box. One a personal level I send all my thick stuff in mag touches - I'll lose the dollar magnetic holder for piece of mind that its not going to be damaged en route.

When I get time I'll take pics of how I ship personally and post some up. Maybe it will help some folks. Both thin and thick methods.
Give me a few days will be doing some grading subs and will take some pics of the process I use.
So after discussing it with BGS, and swallowing some pride for me venting before talking to BGS first, we came to an amicable resolution. 

Yea, it sucks losing the card, but it is what it is. 

I thought about shipping them in the one touches, but changed it up at the last second. 

I love the idea of posting that Jeff. I think it would help a ton for first time submitters. 

I sent another card in early this week to PSA and packed it completely different. Followed their recommendations to a T. 

The incident with BGS left me wary, but the card was too good to not get graded.