IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Lingo" Questions

"Lingo" Questions
Hello all - 

First post  Cool

I have been trying to read up a lot on collecting, etc. - and there are a few things that I can't really grasp.

I've figured out "raw" is "un-graded", but there are some other words and phrases, like what is an "auto card"? Or a base card? 

Of course now I can't remember all the words I've come across.

But, I honestly can't figure out some of the word meanings - would anyone please help me out a little? Maybe fill me in on some common ones and what they mean?

I'd really appreciate it! 

Thanks from the newbie  Big Grin

RE: "Lingo" Questions
TheAmberRoom Wrote:I've figured out "raw" is "un-graded", but there are some other words and phrases, like what is an "auto card"? Or a base card? 

Of course now I can't remember all the words I've come across.

But, I honestly can't figure out some of the word meanings - would anyone please help me out a little? Maybe fill me in on some common ones and what they mean?
You're correct in that raw is ungraded.

An "auto card" is just a shortened way to say "autographed card."

A base card is the regular issued card that is part of the main set/checklist of a product.  They're the easiest to find/collect from a product.

There are tons of terms out there for trading cards so shoot them our way!  Also, I suggest posting up in the Hobby Talk/Baseball forum as it has much more attention and that will help with your questions.

ricelynnevans75 Wrote:You're correct in that raw is ungraded.

An "auto card" is just a shortened way to say "autographed card."

A base card is the regular issued card that is part of the main set/checklist of a product.  They're the easiest to find/collect from a product.

There are tons of terms out there for trading cards so shoot them our way!  Also, I suggest posting up in the Hobby Talk/Baseball forum as it has much more attention and that will help with your questions.
Ah! Thanks! Will do! I'll see if I can figure out how to forward it too.    
Oh and I just saw another. 1/1.  ???    Or /5.

TheAmberRoom Wrote:Ah! Thanks! Will do! I'll see if I can figure out how to forward it too.    
Oh and I just saw another. 1/1.  ???    Or /5.
That typically means that the card is serial numbered.  These are NOT base cards.  They are inserts or parallel versions.  With that being said, there was a set or two put out by Upper Deck in the late 90s called SPx Finite where every card was serial numbered.  I think the highest production number was /9000 while the lowest was 1/1.

So, a 1/1 means that only that one card was made.  /5 means only 5 of that card exists.  

Often times you'll see people selling their cards and will call it a 1/1 without it being the case.  They're just looking to draw attention.  An actual 1/1 will have the serial number 1/1 printed on it.

check "help" section sticky
Beckett.Moderator.Floydtown@gmail.com
TOS

[Image: florida-gators.gif]
U.S. Army-Retired
Member since 10-04-1997 (#113)