`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help understanding what B.A.S. means on a returned submission

Need help understanding what B.A.S. means on a returned submission
    [attachment=15239] Hi friends, I could use some advice on a recent submission.  Everything came back as usual, but for one card- a 99-00 Flair Showcase Vince Carter Fresh Ink auto.  So, let me first say that I've been collecting basketball since '97 roughly, and used to be really into it with my little nephew.  The first time my hobby store helped me send in a submission, when the cards came back, there was a Jason Williams rookie that was marked upgradable due to improper size.  The shop owner said that can happen when the card doesn't meet proper standard size, or has been 'cut', the first time I'd even heard the concept.  Well he & I both knew I had pulled the card direct from the pack/box, so I called up PSA (the first time I used their service), pretty incredulous at how a card right out of the pack could be deemed as cut or too small.  It really sort of hurt, knowing my nephew & I  had done nothing but send in some of our cards.  And It never happened again.  Until just recently.  I only use BGS now, where I submitted a batch of 15 NBA cards, and here came back my only autographed card in the lot with this stickie affixed that is marked 'Service Unavailable' with a handwritten "BAS!!!" on it.  I included an image,  so I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what this means and what, if anything, I can do.  Because, just as before, this is one of my personal pulls at the shop, where the card was so nice we immediately put it away safely, hoping Carter's career would take off.  A the time, it was a 3rd year card of his, so I just sort of forgot about it until I took stock of my old cards that were nice, and sent it in.  If anyone can shed some light on this whole thing, I would be grateful.  I mean, apparently either there is something wrong with this card, or perhaps the autograph service was unavailable, but dang, I think I paid paid to have it graded.  Thoughts, anyone?   Thank you very much, Gary D

RE: Need help understanding what B.A.S. means on a returned submission
I am unfamiliar with this set, but it seems whomever graded it has noted it should go to BAS first, their autograph authentication service for after market autos.

If the back of your card doesn't explicitly state it is a certified auto, that may be where the issue came up. I don't see this set on any restricted list. Hope this helps.
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

(05-11-2022, 06:48 PM)dmntnx01 Wrote:  Hi friends, I could use some advice on a recent submission.  Everything came back as usual, but for one card- a 99-00 Flair Showcase Vince Carter Fresh Ink auto.  So, let me first say that I've been collecting basketball since '97 roughly, and used to be really into it with my little nephew.  The first time my hobby store helped me send in a submission, when the cards came back, there was a Jason Williams rookie that was marked upgradable due to improper size.  The shop owner said that can happen when the card doesn't meet proper standard size, or has been 'cut', the first time I'd even heard the concept.  Well he & I both knew I had pulled the card direct from the pack/box, so I called up PSA (the first time I used their service), pretty incredulous at how a card right out of the pack could be deemed as cut or too small.  It really sort of hurt, knowing my nephew & I  had done nothing but send in some of our cards.  And It never happened again.  Until just recently.  I only use BGS now, where I submitted a batch of 15 NBA cards, and here came back my only autographed card in the lot with this stickie affixed that is marked 'Service Unavailable' with a handwritten "BAS!!!" on it.  I included an image,  so I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what this means and what, if anything, I can do.  Because, just as before, this is one of my personal pulls at the shop, where the card was so nice we immediately put it away safely, hoping Carter's career would take off.  A the time, it was a 3rd year card of his, so I just sort of forgot about it until I took stock of my old cards that were nice, and sent it in.  If anyone can shed some light on this whole thing, I would be grateful.  I mean, apparently either there is something wrong with this card, or perhaps the autograph service was unavailable, but dang, I think I paid paid to have it graded.  Thoughts, anyone?   Thank you very much, Gary D

During Covid? autograph service was not available, short handed staff. or The auto card was not sent in properly on a separate form. BAS is Beckett Autograph Service I doubt you got charged for the auto card.

(05-11-2022, 06:48 PM)dmntnx01 Wrote:  Hi friends, I could use some advice on a recent submission.  Everything came back as usual, but for one card- a 99-00 Flair Showcase Vince Carter Fresh Ink auto.  So, let me first say that I've been collecting basketball since '97 roughly, and used to be really into it with my little nephew.  The first time my hobby store helped me send in a submission, when the cards came back, there was a Jason Williams rookie that was marked upgradable due to improper size.  The shop owner said that can happen when the card doesn't meet proper standard size, or has been 'cut', the first time I'd even heard the concept.  Well he & I both knew I had pulled the card direct from the pack/box, so I called up PSA (the first time I used their service), pretty incredulous at how a card right out of the pack could be deemed as cut or too small.  It really sort of hurt, knowing my nephew & I  had done nothing but send in some of our cards.  And It never happened again.  Until just recently.  I only use BGS now, where I submitted a batch of 15 NBA cards, and here came back my only autographed card in the lot with this stickie affixed that is marked 'Service Unavailable' with a handwritten "BAS!!!" on it.  I included an image,  so I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what this means and what, if anything, I can do.  Because, just as before, this is one of my personal pulls at the shop, where the card was so nice we immediately put it away safely, hoping Carter's career would take off.  A the time, it was a 3rd year card of his, so I just sort of forgot about it until I took stock of my old cards that were nice, and sent it in.  If anyone can shed some light on this whole thing, I would be grateful.  I mean, apparently either there is something wrong with this card, or perhaps the autograph service was unavailable, but dang, I think I paid paid to have it graded.  Thoughts, anyone?   Thank you very much, Gary D

i got this back one time when the cards were not licensed... BAS= BECKETT AUTHENTICATION SERVICES
It looks like the card might be a fake or reprint, flair should be good to go otherwise. Or the service was just down due to short staffing.

Due to the proliferation of fakes on the secondary market due to fakes out of Asia and the Fleer bankruptcy related release issues, BGS requires it to run through their Autograph division (Beckett Authentication Services = BAS) in order to properly verify its authenticity. That's all that notes is saying.

BGS normally would spend less than a minute on 99.9% of autos. Some though they don't want their reputations on the line unless an 'expert" looks at it. Hence the guys at BAS

The rates are different as someone there needs to take time looking at proper exemplars etc etc to verify. There is a BAS/BGS  section located  here at BAS SECTION

I rarely use the service , but Michael ( @ferraripower2005 ) uses it quite a bit and can probably guide you through the norms

Hope it helps-
Jeff