`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guidance on grading - why did this 8.5 given subgrades?

Guidance on grading - why did this 8.5 given subgrades?
Hi all,

I recently received an order back from BGS and I'm a bit perplexed so I'm hoping that you all can shed some light on this situation. First off, I know that lower sub grades are weighted more when considering the overall grade but I'm stumped by this.

My card sub grades:

Centering - 9.5
Surface - 9.5
Edges - 8.5
Corners - 8.5
Overall - 8.5

Another very similar card sub grades:

Centering - 9.5
Surface - 9
Edges - 8.5
Corners - 8
Overall - 8.5

How/why does my card end up with the same overall grade as this other comparable card? I suspect BGS doesn't fully disclose the exact algorithm they use but what information they have on the website really doesn't make my overall grade add up compared to this other card. If this doesn't make sense to those of you that are very familiar with the process, is it worth trying to contact them and ask them why it was done this way or is that a futile effort. 

RE: Guidance on grading - why did this 8.5 given subgrades?
Just saw this post.

There is an algorithm for the grades. A general rule of thumb is the over all grade can't be above the second lowest sub grade. There are exceptions to this with certain sub grades.

That should give you a general idea of why though.

RE: Guidance on grading - why did this 8.5 given subgrades?
(06-15-2022, 07:07 AM)wassick13 Wrote: Hi all,

I recently received an order back from BGS and I'm a bit perplexed so I'm hoping that you all can shed some light on this situation. First off, I know that lower sub grades are weighted more when considering the overall grade but I'm stumped by this.

My card sub grades:

Centering - 9.5
Surface - 9.5
Edges - 8.5
Corners - 8.5
Overall - 8.5

Another very similar card sub grades:

Centering - 9.5
Surface - 9
Edges - 8.5
Corners - 8
Overall - 8.5

How/why does my card end up with the same overall grade as this other comparable card? I suspect BGS doesn't fully disclose the exact algorithm they use but what information they have on the website really doesn't make my overall grade add up compared to this other card. If this doesn't make sense to those of you that are very familiar with the process, is it worth trying to contact them and ask them why it was done this way or is that a futile effort. 

The cards aren't comparable.. You have 2 8.5 subs.. they have one... If one of your 8.5's would have been an 8... you likely would have gotten an 8.5.... If one of your 8.5s would have been a 9.0.. you likely would have gotten a 9.0 overall.. 

Its pretty rare (IMHO) to have grades within 1pt of each other with two low ones ever get a grade much higher than the two low ones.. In the other example you gave... the three higher grades helped bump up a SINGLE lower subgrade..  As another commentor said its pretty rare to see a low grade go up more than 0.5 ever... and i've NEVER seen an instance where you have two low subgrades that are the same and then have it bump up from that at all... Its sorta the weakest link approach.. Your card will rarely every have an overall grade much higher than the weakest link.. Sadly the subgrade aspect is part of what seems to hurt BGS cards on re-sale.. folks look at the lowest grade and thats all they think..