`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
88-89 Fleer Jordan Sticker Grading w/Wax Back?

88-89 Fleer Jordan Sticker Grading w/Wax Back?
Hey all,

I purchased a raw set of 1988-89 Fleer several years ago, sold most of the cards but kept a few including the Jordan base and sticker. For those familiar with this set, you may know (at least from what I've heard from hobby shop owners) that a majority amount of the stickers came out of the pack with dried wax "glued" to the back of the card, apparently from the wax melting from the pack wrapper during shipping, etc. as the sticker is always on the bottom of the pack.

My Jordan sticker is extremely sharp, great corners, great front centering, a little off on the back but has the looks to fetch a 9 or 8.5 at worst. The problem is that it has the melted wax. I'm curious if anyone has experience with getting these cards graded and if the grading service accounts for a very common issue with this particular sticker set. Most recently I saw a PSA 8 one sell for $305 on eBay but there was no mention or pictures of whether the wax is there or not. Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks, Matt

RE: 88-89 Fleer Jordan Sticker Grading w/Wax Back?
Well, the grading companies did lower their standards significantly for all the Wayne Gretzky RCs that had major issues, so maybe since all of the Fleer stickers are in the same boat they’ll give you a break.

Matt, did you ever submit this for grading?

I'm contemplating getting my second year MJ card graded just for the slab but probably won't bother if they slam it because of the wax.

few years back i submitted a 87-88 sticker with wax and felt it was fairly graded. good luck and submit your card. it's a nice card nonetheless.

(01-13-2023, 10:58 AM)ARod711 Wrote: few years back i submitted a 87-88 sticker with wax and felt it was fairly graded. good luck and submit your card. it's a nice card nonetheless.
What grade did you get?

graded 8.5

(01-17-2023, 03:25 PM)ARod711 Wrote: graded 8.5
That's not bad!