`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
modern/recent rookie cards - numbered vs auto?

modern/recent rookie cards - numbered vs auto?
Hello,

I collected cards in the 80's through the early 90's.  Then took a decades+ break, but when I came back I just focused on filling in any blanks or upgrading from that same era. 

I am somewhat aware of all the changes in the hobby, with numbered cards, autos and endless parallels - but it seems to always overwhelm me each time I come back to take a look.

Currently I'm considering picking up some rookie cards of Jayson Tatum and Luka Doncic.  I wouldn't necessarily consider it an "investment" but with that being said, I want to be confident the cards will at least hold their value should I need to sell them (of course assuming they keep up their levels of play).  

My price point per card is probably in the $500 to $3000 range or less and no grade lower than 9.  Yes I realize this shuts me out of some of the more limited cards in higher grade.

I'm looking for some advice in terms of what to target.  Is is a no brainer to get an on card rookie auto if it fits the price point?  I've always been afraid that autos on cards could fade over time and affect the desirability.  In that sense, is it better to target the lowest numebered print run in my price point?

Also I see 2017 Panini Prizm Tatum Silver is not a numbered card.  But it sells for similar price range as 2017 Panini Select in various colors which are numbered in the /149 /199 /249 ranges.  Searching listings you see there are many more of the former up for sale as they probably have a much higher print run.  Is this just a matter of the "Panini Prizm" set being in more demand than the "Panini Select"?  This type of dispariting was present in the early 90's when manufacturers starting making multiple sets per year, but at that time most cards were not numbered.  

TIA for any suggestions.

RE: modern/recent rookie cards - numbered vs auto?
Prizm in general is the preferred non-high end brand ... usually sells well, grades well, etc.

As for autos, I don't think I've ever seen an auto on a sticker fade at all, it's usually the on-card stuff on weird surfaces (Sweet Spot baseball autos, for example).

Generally on card are considered more valuable (which has always been funny to me, because it's not like you actually met the player in either case).

You could also check completed sales on eBay for those guys from those years to see what has sold the best over the last few months.