`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kobe Bryant auto card question

Kobe Bryant auto card question

Hi, I purchased this card at a collectibles convention last year. In the BGS pop report there are 20 graded cards total. Five mint 9's, thirteen gem mint 9.5's, and two pristine 10's. No black label 10's.

I haven't seen that much info on this card regarding value/prices other than seeing a couple gem mint 9.5's sell in the past for around $2000 online. And one seller who has one of the two pristine 10's is selling it for $9000 on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/303998570072?ha...Swz~FgoDiQ

I have no idea though if those prices are still accurate as the market could have obviously gone down for this card series. I wanted to ask for some help if anyone knows what the ballpark number would be for my card in terms of what the value is or what you would sell it for? I just signed up and this is my first time posting so not sure if this type of inquiry is allowed (please forgive me if it's not). Thanks.

RE: Kobe Bryant auto card question
Allowed ... and hard to answer.

Many of us go by recent completed sales when assessing value for trades and what not ... many of us stick strictly to current Beckett values ... but both of those can change obviously, like when LeBron breaks the scoring record, his stuff is going to spike for a bit.

If you were selling it online and worried about getting fair market value for it, you could always set a "reserve" price, i.e. the lowest you would be comfortable selling it for.

Kobe is an interesting case ... generally speaking retired players stay relatively consistent price wise, because they haven't done anything good or bad on the field to fluctuate their values.

The only exception would be a retired player - Scott Rolen or Fred McGriff, for example - getting a small contained bump leading up to Hall of Fame weekend or the attention based on an old record being broken (Kareem).

With Kobe, however, his very unfortunate passing means that his cards may eventually see spikes by attrition because as more and more of his autos make their way into private collections, people may pay more for dwindling supply.

If this were my card, based on what you said about the 9.5s and the $2,000 figure, I would maybe set a reserve price of $2,500 and see where it goes.

If it comes in at $2,250 or whatever and you're happy with it, go forward with the sale.

If not, you only pay the listing fees but keep the card.

Sweet card either way!

If you want to read an awesome story about my Kobe auto pull, check this out ...

https://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1530877.html

Good luck!

Thank you so much for the information and for giving me your honest opinion.

Yes, you were right on the money with setting it at $2500 which is exactly what one merchant did. This seller set the price at $2599.99 and eventually took $2000 for it when it was all said and done.

Full disclosure, I paid $1300 for that card. It felt low given the caliber of player, the card/auto grade, and the potential auto scarcity aspect in the future like you mentioned which is why I pulled the trigger. It's nice to know that it looks as if I may have gotten somewhat of a decent deal. I'll probably just hold on to it for now. Thanks again for your input. Really appreciate it.

I read your thread about your unique Kobe auto card pull. Amazing story and sick card.

You got a great deal - on card, gem mint auto of a legend for about 33 percent off market rate - very, very well done.

Yeah, my Kobe pull that night was a roller coaster of emotions, LOL ...

- I busted that mixer box in the car on my dinner break, and the redemption card did not say who the player was, just the card number, so I had to wait until I got back to the office to look it up

- Was stunned that it was Kobe, not just because of the card itself but the sheer odds of pulling that out of a single pack of a low end product relegated to a cheap mixer box

- Was devastated when I realized the redemption was a few months past expiration

- Gave it a hopeful shot anyway and contacted the guys at Panini

- Amazingly one of the guys was working really late in Texas (LOL) and got back to me that same night, said he would run it by the other guy and let me know in the morning ... but that it would probably work out

- Next morning they said to enter the code just like I would any other redemption, and they expedited the shipping so that I had it in hand 7 days later

- Always nervous when those kinds of high end cards are in transit, LOL

- Was elated to finally have it in-hand, in case you couldn't tell, LOL

Anyway, if you decide to sell yours, let us know what you get for it.

Yes, that is incredible. So essentially, you got a card that is now selling online for 5 dimes in a pack of cards that cost $11.99?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154398816182
Wow, that is sick. Hard to even fathom a 400x bagger like that given that particular situation. From penny stock to blue chip stock. Amazing. Thanks for sharing that story. And yes, I will come back here and post what I end up getting for that Kobe card if I ever decide to sell it.

Yeah, back before the March 2020 advent of the Doosh Bag Network - the guys without girlfriends or jobs that stalk the card distributor ladies and stand in line for hours to hoard all the product and resell it online for at least double to these Great New Collectors I keep hearing about - I was known as the Retail King (LOL) for my insane luck in pulling great cards out of retail.

No doubt the Kobe is the best but I’ve also pulled rookie autos of Bryce Harper, Kris Bryant (when he first came up and was crazy hot) and Anthony Davis, to name a few.

Maybe someday I’ll reclaim the throne, LOL

(02-03-2023, 05:10 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Anyway, if you decide to sell yours, let us know what you get for it.

What's up rjcj, I ended up giving the card to my brother-in-law for his birthday, so I'll never know what I could have gotten for it lol. He was so happy and excited, it was awesome.

(04-20-2023, 04:11 PM)jj2727 Wrote: What's up rjcj, I ended up giving the card to my brother-in-law for his birthday, so I'll never know what I could have gotten for it lol. He was so happy and excited, it was awesome.
That's awesome, great for you both, thanks for sharing.

Made a huge sale of about half my remaining collection a week ago today ... the Kobe redemption in this thread is now my best remaining basketball auto.

https://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1530877.html