`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centering Grade Question

Centering Grade Question
I just got my submission back and had a question about the centering grade I got on this Ronny Mauricio Bowman Chrome Green Shimmer Auto. I’ve looked at a card that got a 10 centering grade and honestly cannot tell the difference between that one and mine. A little bummed because that knocked my card down to a 9 interwar of 9.5. Anyone know why this got an 8.5 centering? Thanks!
[Image: post_thread_1311658967_0CA85B7D-91C6-498...56566.jpeg]

RE: Centering Grade Question
(05-29-2023, 12:53 PM)Nickk11 Wrote: I just got my submission back and had a question about the centering grade I got on this Ronny Mauricio Bowman Chrome Green Shimmer Auto. I’ve looked at a card that got a 10 centering grade and honestly cannot tell the difference between that one and mine. A little bummed because that knocked my card down to a 9 interwar of 9.5. Anyone know why this got an 8.5 centering? Thanks!
It's tough to give a fully accurate measurement given the picture was taken on an angle.  However based on what I see and can measure in Photoshop:

[Image: centering.jpg]

Top:  There's 41 pixels from border top to the start of the design
Bottom:  There's 23 pixels from border bottom to the start of the design.

That's a variation of 9 pixels.  Ideally I would think the card would be 32 pixels from border edges to start of design

41 - 9 = 32
23 + 9 = 32

From there, I would assume that from left border edge to the start of the design should also be 32 pixels.  In this case I measure 39 pixels, a variation of 7 pixels.

This results in centering that is 64/36 top/bottom and 61/39 left/right.  Per Beckett's grading scale:

9.5 = 50/50 one way, 55/45 other way
9 = 55/45 both ways
8 = 60/40 both ways
7 = 65/35 both ways

From what I can see, the centering would be roughly a 7 or an 8.... again admittedly from an angled picture.  If you could scan the card I can count the pixels better but I doubt it's that much better than an 8.5.  Take it for what it's worth from one random internet person Smile.  It's an amazing card and in your care it's in gem mint condition, you can't help the centering but you can help ensure the parts that could get damaged didn't.

(05-30-2023, 07:34 PM)jplarson Wrote: It's tough to give a fully accurate measurement given the picture was taken on an angle.  However based on what I see and can measure in Photoshop:

[Image: centering.jpg]

Top:  There's 41 pixels from border top to the start of the design
Bottom:  There's 23 pixels from border bottom to the start of the design.

That's a variation of 9 pixels.  Ideally I would think the card would be 32 pixels from border edges to start of design

41 - 9 = 32
23 + 9 = 32

From there, I would assume that from left border edge to the start of the design should also be 32 pixels.  In this case I measure 39 pixels, a variation of 7 pixels.

This results in centering that is 64/36 top/bottom and 61/39 left/right.  Per Beckett's grading scale:

9 = 55/45 both ways
8 = 60/40 both ways
7 = 65/35 both ways

From what I can see, the centering would be roughly a 7 or an 8.... again admittedly from an angled picture.  If you could scan the card I can count the pixels better but I doubt it's that much better than an 8.5.  Take it for what it's worth from one random internet person Smile.  It's an amazing card and in your care it's in gem mint condition, you can't help the centering but you can help ensure the parts that could get damaged didn't.
Thank you so much for the reply and putting the time in to look into the centering.  I have posted a scanned image of the card, but unfortunately it came out blurry.  Tried scanning it multiple times too.  Not sure if you are going to be able to see it well enough to measure.  I took another picture as well trying to get as straight shot as I can. The card really is a great card.  Thank you for the kind words.  As a Mets fan, it's nice to see Mauricio have a real good year as well.

[Image: post_thread_661582288_mauricio.jpg]

[Image: post_thread_117392695_mauricio2.jpg]

(05-31-2023, 10:53 AM)Nickk11 Wrote: Thank you so much for the reply and putting the time in to look into the centering.  I have posted a scanned image of the card, but unfortunately it came out blurry.  Tried scanning it multiple times too.  Not sure if you are going to be able to see it well enough to measure.  I took another picture as well trying to get as straight shot as I can. The card really is a great card.  Thank you for the kind words.  As a Mets fan, it's nice to see Mauricio have a real good year as well.
No problem!  The issue with scanning is that your scanner likely uses a Contact Imaging Sensor (more common, cheaper).  Does a good job scanning stuff, but anything that has depth it gets blurry like yours.  A scanner that uses a Charged Coupled Device Sensor has excellent depth scanning.  An Epson Perfection-series works well.  Here's a post about it - https://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1604434.html

As for the updated scan, I think I can work with it Smile.

[Image: centering2.jpg]

Top 53 pixels
Bottom 31pixels

+/- 11

53 - 11 = 42
31 + 11 = 42

This results in centering that is 63/37 top/bottom and 55/45 left/right.  Per Beckett's grading scale:

9 = 55/45 both ways
8 = 60/40 both ways
7 = 65/35 both ways

I can't speak for how Beckett figures centering but the L/R is right on a 9 and the T/B is 7.5.  Usually L/R is judged more harshly than T/B in terms of eye appeal.  I would expect centering to rate a 7.5 or maybe an 8.  It's possible thanks to the L/R being so solid that it got an extra half grade bump.  Graders don't actually have time to scan every card and calculate the pixels to determine the centering.  Even with some eyeball variance from different graders, I don't see the centering sub grade improving.  The top/bottom is noticeable.

Having said all that, still an amazing card and those other subgrades are very fine!

(06-01-2023, 12:53 AM)jplarson Wrote: No problem!  The issue with scanning is that your scanner likely uses a Contact Imaging Sensor (more common, cheaper).  Does a good job scanning stuff, but anything that has depth it gets blurry like yours.  A scanner that uses a Charged Coupled Device Sensor has excellent depth scanning.  An Epson Perfection-series works well.  Here's a post about it - https://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1604434.html

As for the updated scan, I think I can work with it Smile.

[Image: centering2.jpg]

Top 53 pixels
Bottom 31pixels

+/- 11

53 - 11 = 42
31 + 11 = 42

This results in centering that is 63/37 top/bottom and 55/45 left/right.  Per Beckett's grading scale:

9 = 55/45 both ways
8 = 60/40 both ways
7 = 65/35 both ways

I can't speak for how Beckett figures centering but the L/R is right on a 9 and the T/B is 7.5.  Usually L/R is judged more harshly than T/B in terms of eye appeal.  I would expect centering to rate a 7.5 or maybe an 8.  It's possible thanks to the L/R being so solid that it got an extra half grade bump.  Graders don't actually have time to scan every card and calculate the pixels to determine the centering.  Even with some eyeball variance from different graders, I don't see the centering sub grade improving.  The top/bottom is noticeable.

Having said all that, still an amazing card and those other subgrades are very fine!
Thank you so much for putting the time into looking at this.  I do agree that the top/bottom is noticeable.  I will accept the grade and enjoy the card.  Thanks again!!