`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question on "Altered" grading

Question on "Altered" grading
I just got an email from Beckett that the 2021 Sage Hit Trevor Lawrence auto #3/5 that I submitted for grading got a grade of "Altered". It doesn't say why, or how it was altered, just "Altered".

It went from the pack i busted it from into a penny sleeve and top loader at the card shop where I got it. It never came out  until Beckett , I assume, removed it.

How *(expletive deleted)* could it be altered?

Has anyone else encountered issues like this with a card you KNOW wasn't altered?

RE: Question on "Altered" grading
Yeah that seems really strange if you pulled the card yourself. I'm assuming the card looked really nice when you sent it in to get graded. Did you look at the edges and measure the card? I think companies are trying to do a better job at not authenticated trimmed, counterfeit, or altered cards. Do you happen to have a picture before and after you sent the card in? I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you. Did you try to call Beckett grading?

Call? They have a number? The only thing I found was a form to submit comm's. Did that, but nothing yet.

I didn't measure the card because it came straight out of a sealed box/pack. If manufacturers are packing cards that are trimmed then BGS should acknowledge that and take it into consideration before making a card worthless. The edges and surface looked ok.

Yes, I have a before pic, but haven't gotten it back yet to see what happened.

(06-15-2023, 05:27 PM)fizzix6942 Wrote: Call? They have a number? The only thing I found was a form to submit comm's. Did that, but nothing yet.

I didn't measure the card because it came straight out of a sealed box/pack. If manufacturers are packing cards that are trimmed then BGS should acknowledge that and take it into consideration before making a card worthless. The edges and surface looked ok.

Yes, I have a before pic, but haven't gotten it back yet to see what happened.
submit to another grading company.
Collecting: Ohio State Buckeyes, Cincinnati Bengals, Chicago Bears

It happened to me as well and I don't know how can I resolve it.

I traded for a card a few months back that had been deemed "trimmed" by a grading company, because I just wanted the card for  my PC and wasn't ever going to trade or flip it.

Ironically, the card had perfect centering and corners on the other three borders, so there would have been no reason to trim it.

I firmly believe it was just a factory defect.

In general I don't trust grading companies based on all the shenanigans I've heard over the years.