`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Semi new to collecting

RE: Semi new to collecting
(06-28-2023, 11:09 AM)CMCFan22 Wrote: I can buy the individual cards I want at a fraction of the price of a sealed box. That is the way I would recommend going if you're more interested in one team or player.
Good advice. Unopened packs/boxes/cases are way too high relative to pre-2020. A lot of pandemic era hype/pumping/boredom caused prices to jump as non-collectors hopped into the hobby trying to make a fast buck. If you want a box or two just to scratch the itch, very cool, I get it. Otherwise if you want to build your collection, let someone else take the hit busting wax and you pick up the singles you want at a fraction of the price.

(06-28-2023, 11:20 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: "We're not their biggest fans here on Beckett"

Truer words have never been spoken.
You guys got that right.

(06-28-2023, 02:10 AM)bfriedman89 Wrote: what do you mean by if I care about NFL logos?
There are basically three types of products

NFL license - shows NFL logos - currently Panini has a monopoly on those

College licensed - shows college logos - currently Topps (BowmanU) and Panini produce these

Player licensed - cards are licensed by an individual player - do not show logos 

If you are buying boxes in the $50 to $150 range, NFL licensed is largely limited to retail only which isn't worth getting

You might be able to find college licensed products available in hobby boxes

You can definitely find player licensed products in that range - and realistically the player licensed products are your only realistic chance to make your money back at current prices

Of course, player licensed cards sell for less on the secondary market, but your odds of pulling good players is often higher especially with the NIL autos - players like Bryce Young have already been signing autograph cards for two years before the first NFL products come out

My eternal advice: Don't worry about values. Collect what you like.

(06-29-2023, 09:38 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: My eternal advice: Don't worry about values. Collect what you like.
The best advice ever!

$5 and under bin has given me so many cards I like

(06-29-2023, 10:36 AM)ZSDOne Wrote: The best advice ever!

$5 and under bin has given me so many cards I like
I have a bunch of gift cards with like 17 cents on them and have scored many cards on DBay over the years that I was thrlilled with for a dime or less.

(06-29-2023, 09:38 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: My eternal advice: Don't worry about values. Collect what you like.
This, this, this.

You have all these people worrying about "objective" values. You may have heard of "book value" before. The problem with that is that some players go on a hot streak, some go cold. It happens. A card is worth what YOU say it's worth.
Please reach out with any/all inquiries regarding sending me Riley Leonard cards.
WANTS:
RILEY LEONARD/Jake Bobo
Tre Jones
Cam Newton/Christian McCaffrey
2015/2017 Panthers

(06-29-2023, 11:36 AM)CMCFan22 Wrote: This, this, this.

You have all these people worrying about "objective" values. You may have heard of "book value" before. The problem with that is that some players go on a hot streak, some go cold. It happens. A card is worth what YOU say it's worth.
Word.

Some cards you can't put a price on.

For example - my legally blind grandpa used to walk across the street to this mall in Michigan where old Tigers would sometimes come in and sign autographs at shows.

He would always buy the $1 cards of the players they had for sale to get signed, and then save them for me when I'd come out in the summertime to visit him, my grandma and my dad.

One year (about 30 years ago), he surprised me with two signed Mark "The Bird" Fidrych cards - absolute Tigers legend.

Neither one of them is around anymore.

I mean, how much are those "worth" ... ?