`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fanatics Destined to make the same mistake.....

Fanatics Destined to make the same mistake.....
It seems since Baseball cards are popping up in so many stores, pharmacies, hardware stores and others.  That we are going to see a repeat of the 1986 - 1995 junk era.  Where too many cards are being produced and not enough collectors to buy them. You would have thought that Fanatics would have seen what overproduction of baseball cards does.  And in some ways hurt the hobby/industry. What is everyone's thoughts about the possibility of 2023 being the year of over production of Topps base ????
Looking to trade for any Hall of Fame Topps base cards.

RE: Fanatics Destined to make the same mistake.....
Thanks, DBN … you’ve done soooooooo many wonderful things for the hobby.

Not sure how the DBN got involved.  It seems to me this a corporation move trying to get money, more money.  It is just like another sign, along with Panini losing their license and the new ebay breaking rules, etc., that the hobby is in some serious turmoil.  I am curious what this evolves into when it is all said and done.

(07-30-2023, 10:00 AM)wickercat Wrote: Not sure how the DBN got involved.  It seems to me this a corporation move trying to get money, more money.  It is just like another sign, along with Panini losing their license and the new ebay breaking rules, etc., that the hobby is in some serious turmoil.  I am curious what this evolves into when it is all said and done.
Upper Deck producing licensed baseball cards would go a long way in restoring the hobby to its former glory.  Fanatics taking over has already been a cluster bleep!

Panini should stick to football and basketball.
All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars

Some complain they cannot find retail products.

Some complain there are retail products in too many stores.

Others complain that the retail prices are too high.

I honestly don't understand what any of this has to do with the state of the hobby. Sounds more like an issue between customers and businesses.

(07-30-2023, 10:00 AM)wickercat Wrote: Not sure how the DBN got involved.  It seems to me this a corporation move trying to get money, more money.  It is just like another sign, along with Panini losing their license and the new ebay breaking rules, etc., that the hobby is in some serious turmoil.  I am curious what this evolves into when it is all said and done.
The DBN started this by hording relatively worthless retail products and flipping them to These Great Nerw Collectors I Keep Hearing About.

Correlary to that was the attention gleened from the DBN waiting in line for several hours, not to mention illegal actiivities like shootings in parking lots over retail product, stalking card distributor employees, etc. 

It became a national thing with plenty of media coverage from Forbes, Wall Street Journal, etc.

Once other businesses realized how "popular" the false bubble was, they all wanted to carry trading cards.

Flopps and Padooshi, er, Topps and Panini not only jacked up the prices to get their share of the dooshery, but were only too happy to oblige and started cranking up the printing presses to make sure all these outlets could carry cards.

I mean ... Cracker Barrel?

Yes, the DBN very much is responsible for the New Junk Era that we currently are heading into. 

They've been simply marvelous for the hobby.

Why is it that I am unable to buy certain hobby products if I wait too long after release? Is it perhaps buyers hoarding and then selling at premium later?

Or, is there limited supply on certain products that I happen to like?

(07-31-2023, 11:54 AM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Why is it that I am unable to buy certain hobby products if I wait too long after release?  Is it perhaps buyers hoarding and then selling at premium later?

Or, is there limited supply on certain products that I happen to like?
Correct.

Outside of walmart & target, I don't see cards in other general retail stores... not like the 80s / 90s when you could walk into a gas station & buy them.

I think they are overproducing cards again. The values of base cards and most inserts will continue to suck. This is nothing new though. They might just suck at .05 cents instead of .50 cents. Autographs and patches will continue to sell. Collectors will still collect. I buy nickle and dime Sandberg and Nolans all the time. I also splurge occasionally on the high end card. Breakers will never go away unless breaking becomes regulated by the government as a form of gambling (see online poker) Then it will be just in a few places etc. Breaker gobble up tons of this product retail and hobby - it gets busted and shipped. For every one breaker you know about there are 25 more that are smaller and just getting started.