`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I'm Calling it Now, Fanatics Will Make Us Miss Panini

RE: I'm Calling it Now, Fanatics Will Make Us Miss Panini
If anyone doubts that Fanatics will milk every set for what it's worth and create tons of variations on the same theme, check out Topps Gilded Baseball - I wish they went one step further and called it Gilded Age Baseball - just another chrome style but with the type of pretensious tastelessness you'd expect from people who put gold leaf on everything - wait, actual gold leaf is too expensive - gold paint on everything.

I actually find it hilarious that football card collectors are actually cheering for Fanatics even as baseball collectors curse what Fanatics is turning Topps into. You'd think that people who hate monopolies wouldn't be cheering for the company that is trying their best to create a monopoly of sportscards. Especially seeing what Topps is doing with baseball as far as overproducing base cards, making endless variations on the same set, and pretty much doing everything football card collectors don't like about Panini.

Always be careful what you wish for!

This is why I am buying less. I feel I have a good collection for the kids at the moment and haven't seen anything other than trying to acquire some Bagent Orange cards - I think he'll be one to keep an eye on, especially if Fields gets .......
Collecting: Ohio State Buckeyes, Cincinnati Bengals, Chicago Bears

(09-14-2023, 09:17 AM)Speak917 Wrote: This is why I am buying  less.  I feel I have a good collection for the kids at the moment and haven't seen anything other than trying to acquire some Bagent Orange cards - I think he'll be one to keep an eye on, especially if Fields gets .......
The way to get a great collection is to just buy individual cards - box breaks have become basically impossible with the companies chasing case breakers - back when you could get hobby boxes with decent pulls for $100 or less, buying boxes was okay.  Now that even the low end products are $200 plus its basically impossible.

Of course, even getting individual cards is harder now since with the box breaks you get a lot of cards going directly to team collectors and thus never seeing the light of the day - but it's still the best option.

I'm concentrating more on Hall of Famer autos now - they are often surprisingly cheap.  Much better to pay $30 for an on card HoF auto than $50 for a prospect

We can't forget about Panini yet as 2022 Panini Flawless Football will be released later this month. How does a 2022 product get released 9 months into the next year?!? Panini gonna Panini!
With 20+ years collecting, this is the most comprehensive single player collection in the world! Beckett lists 4000+ cards - I'm at 95% completion!
[Image: jaderock-1-1-1.jpg]]

(09-14-2023, 11:56 PM)jaderock Wrote: We can't forget about Panini yet as 2022 Panini Flawless Football will be released later this month. How does a 2022 product get released 9 months into the next year?!? Panini gonna Panini!
Facts

(09-14-2023, 11:56 PM)jaderock Wrote: We can't forget about Panini yet as 2022 Panini Flawless Football will be released later this month. How does a 2022 product get released 9 months into the next year?!? Panini gonna Panini!
Panini has their own mockery thread - this one is to make fun of Topps and Bowman

For what it's worth, I did get 3 hobby boxes of 2023 Bowman University Chrome (or is it Bowman Chrome University?).

Also it will come in blaster box format at some point for $25.

I looked at the checklist for the new BowmanU Chrome checklist and by far the highlight is that they're producing cards for Hunter Deckers the former Iowa State quarterback who was kicked off the team and criminally charged for betting on Iowa State games!

(09-16-2023, 01:29 PM)ZSDOne Wrote: I looked at the checklist for the new BowmanU Chrome checklist and by far the highlight is that they're producing cards for Hunter Deckers the former Iowa State quarterback who was kicked off the team and criminally charged for betting on Iowa State games!
Yikes....

Maybe he could pull a Pete Rose and inscribe future cards with "I'm Sorry I Bet On College Football"