`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Penny Sleeves

Penny Sleeves
Is there really any big difference between Ultra Pro and BCW penny card sleeves?  Other than Ultra Pro being about 30% more expensive than BCW.
I collect Andre Johnson, JJ Watt, Redskins who played in the 70’s & 80’s, HOF’ers and Texas A&M Aggies.
Email: rbredskin@windstream.net
No trading outside the U.S.

RE: Penny Sleeves
In a recent trade someone sent me cards in slightly wider sleeves so they don't fit nicely in 9-page sheets. Not sure if those were BCW or not, but some brand is not the same size.

(09-05-2023, 10:55 AM)kerryandbeth Wrote: In a recent trade someone sent me cards in slightly wider sleeves so they don't fit nicely in 9-page sheets.  Not sure if those were BCW or not, but some brand is not the same size.
Thanks Kerry.  That is a good point.  I have been getting the Ultra Pro (10000 at a time).  Most of the cards that I get from COMC if they go into the 9-page sheets, I have to switch to the sleeves I have.  So probably nothing to do with quality, but I think I will pay the extra and stick with Ultra Pro.
I collect Andre Johnson, JJ Watt, Redskins who played in the 70’s & 80’s, HOF’ers and Texas A&M Aggies.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

(09-05-2023, 11:48 AM)dogger99 Wrote: Thanks Kerry.  That is a good point.  I have been getting the Ultra Pro (10000 at a time).  Most of the cards that I get from COMC if they go into the 9-page sheets, I have to switch to the sleeves I have.  So probably nothing to do with quality, but I think I will pay the extra and stick with Ultra Pro.
You guys put your cards in penny sleeves before putting them in 9-pocket pages?

The last 9-pockets I bought were crap, every card sticks out about an eighth of an inch over the top.

(10-17-2023, 01:09 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: You guys put your cards in penny sleeves before putting them in 9-pocket pages?

The last 9-pockets I bought were crap, every card sticks out about an eighth of an inch over the top.
Haven't had that problem.  There are some that have pockets a little narrow than others that cause the sleeve to crumple up some.  Got rid of pretty much all of those (in a binder, need to dump in my recycle).

(10-17-2023, 08:07 PM)dogger99 Wrote: Haven't had that problem.  There are some that have pockets a little narrow than others that cause the sleeve to crumple up some.  Got rid of pretty much all of those (in a binder, need to dump in my recycle).
I've never heard of that before but I'll have to try it.

Probably helps the cards not get dinged when they slide in to the 9-pockets!

Since COVID and the jump in prices I have switched to Shellz. I have been very happy with their product. I have purchased their toploaders in almost all sizes, one touches, team bags, penny sleeves. Almost all of it. I also like how they cut the corner of their penny sleeves. I don't use 9 pocket pages so I cant speak to how well the penny sleeves fit in a 9 pocket page.
Paul Goldschmidt: 634 Total Cards, 339 Different
Joe Montana: 325 Total Cards, 267 Different
Jerry Rice: 685 Total Cards, 618 Different
Steve Young: 942 Total Cards, 742 Different

(10-24-2023, 11:32 AM)wilsonsportscards Wrote: Since COVID and the jump in prices I have switched to Shellz. I have been very happy with their product. I have purchased their toploaders in almost all sizes, one touches, team bags, penny sleeves. Almost all of it. I also like how they cut the corner of their penny sleeves. I don't use 9 pocket pages so I cant speak to how well the penny sleeves fit in a 9 pocket page.
I do not know the brand but I have had plenty of those sleeves with the top corner cut off and they fit nicely in the 9-pocket pages.

(10-24-2023, 11:32 AM)wilsonsportscards Wrote: Since COVID and the jump in prices I have switched to Shellz. I have been very happy with their product. I have purchased their toploaders in almost all sizes, one touches, team bags, penny sleeves. Almost all of it. I also like how they cut the corner of their penny sleeves. I don't use 9 pocket pages so I cant speak to how well the penny sleeves fit in a 9 pocket page.
I'll have to check those out, I have been manually cutting the corners for years ... takes forever to sleeve cards!