`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clean-up on Aisle 5

Clean-up on Aisle 5
A few years ago there was a Forum Thread about what we would do with our collection when our end is near.  It was interesting and entertaining, but also a bit morbid.

The consensus was that nearly all of us have too many cards to care about, let alone deal with finding a predecessor to take over.  So, there were comments about donating or selling or trading away chunks of the collection.

The main issue is shipping.  Not only is it pricey, but also inconvenient and difficult to ship safely to prevent damage.  Another issue is "where and who?"  Where to find others that want your stuff and what kind of person will you have to deal with.

Here is where I am at:  I would be fine with giving chunks to those who would enjoy based on age or financial limits or player memories (in other words, not an investor).  But, not at any additional cost.

Local donation drop-offs will not accept them and parents are touchy about strangers giving to kids.  I will have to come up with some great idea or let one of you give one.

By the way, I am not saying my end is near...but my love of the hobby is in a hospital bed for sure!

RE: Clean-up on Aisle 5
This Halloween last Sunday), we had a trunk and treat at church with 1200 kids from the area.  I packed 3 base cards in a penny sleeve, 1 facing outside, the middle and one facing outside so they could see the cards.  We gave out candy from our trunk and the kids (and some adults) got a "pack" of cards.  The cards were base cards from GQ, DK, Select, Chrome etc from the last 2 years so the younger kids would know who they are.  I gave away 400 packs in 1 hour.  Little by little.  Last year i donated 5 3500 count boxes to the Goodwill center as well. 

My biggest issue is not the base cards, but the $3-5 cards..lots of them from a lot of years.  I guess it is time to give those away too..including the $6 autos and relics no one seems to want..

(10-31-2023, 02:59 PM)bonds20001 Wrote: This Halloween last Sunday), we had a trunk and treat at church with 1200 kids from the area.  I packed 3 base cards in a penny sleeve, 1 facing outside, the middle and one facing outside so they could see the cards.  We gave out candy from our trunk and the kids (and some adults) got a "pack" of cards.  The cards were base cards from GQ, DK, Select, Chrome etc from the last 2 years so the younger kids would know who they are.  I gave away 400 packs in 1 hour.  Little by little.  Last year i donated 5 3500 count boxes to the Goodwill center as well. 

My biggest issue is not the base cards, but the $3-5 cards..lots of them from a lot of years.  I guess it is time to give those away too..including the $6 autos and relics no one seems to want..
Awesome giving!  Yeah, a little tougher to part with RCs or Inserts.

I'm surprised some DBN foot soldiers didn't show up and mug you for all of your 3-card packs.

(10-31-2023, 04:13 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: I'm surprised some DBN foot soldiers didn't show up and mug you for all of your 3-card packs.
Funny!!  Never thought of that...Well, I am director for security at church and carry..so they were welcome to try...

I was thinking somebody would say "send them to me and I will pay for shipping". Just shows where the hobby has gone.

Meaning, we all pay for hobby or retail boxes to get 1 to 3 decent cards and end up with handfuls of extra crap we don't want.

Facts

My family knows that in regards to my Piazza collection they are to make every effort to give it to someone who will appreciate it (Piazza kin, Mets or MLB HOF type places). The rest of what I have I don't care so much about and will probably end up at Goodwill.
Mike Piazza supercollector: 4,267 different Beckett items
Also collecting John Franco, Eric Karros, Al Leiter, Brandon Nimmo, Todd Pratt, Robin Ventura, Turk Wendell, and Todd Zeile

(10-31-2023, 02:59 PM)bonds20001 Wrote: This Halloween last Sunday), we had a trunk and treat at church with 1200 kids from the area.  I packed 3 base cards in a penny sleeve, 1 facing outside, the middle and one facing outside so they could see the cards.  We gave out candy from our trunk and the kids (and some adults) got a "pack" of cards.  The cards were base cards from GQ, DK, Select, Chrome etc from the last 2 years so the younger kids would know who they are.  I gave away 400 packs in 1 hour.  Little by little.  Last year i donated 5 3500 count boxes to the Goodwill center as well. 

I saw a similar idea mentioned in a Facebook group.  I wish I'd thought of it before halloween so I could have offloaded a lot of my commons.  Definitely doing it next year.

(11-03-2023, 08:42 AM)kerryandbeth Wrote: I was thinking somebody would say "send them to me and I will pay for shipping".  Just shows where the hobby has gone.

Meaning, we all pay for hobby or retail boxes to get 1 to 3 decent cards and end up with handfuls of extra crap we don't want.
Always willing to take any Twins I don't have but otherwise I am much like you.  Trying to figure out how to move probably about 500k cards moving to my retirement years.  And probably more so, like you, my interest is probably in the hospital parking lot moving towards the door.  I am sick of the prices and millions of parallels that come out.  Too many Twins cards produced each year.