`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your thoughts on CGC card grading?

What's your thoughts on CGC card grading?
Somehow that site popped up on my FB page so I wondered if anyone has submitted cards to them?

also, do you think they do a good job and how they compare to BGS, PSA?

RE: What's your thoughts on CGC card grading?
I've never seen them in person but they look pretty good online. Seems to be a somewhat decent following from what I've seen. My initial tendency is to chalk them up as a legit grading company. The company that owns them already pretty much had the market in comic book and coin grading. No reason to think they'd develop a gimmicky grading company now. They also brought over Andy Broome early on in the development of CGC. He had previously been a long-time grader with BGS.

No idea how they compare to PSA or BGS. Personally, I feel like PSA is massively overrated in their grading but people love them because they usually sell for more than the others. BGS I haven't looked at or used in years but over the last year or two, I feel like I've seen more posts/comments on social media about how BGS no longer is held on the pedestel they once were. No idea if that's true or not, but seems to be a sentiment I see more and more.

I don't have any of the new slabs since they rebranded and changed them again, but the CSG slabs (both green and black labels) were really nice - really clear plastic, labels are easy to read, and the black labels really look good (the CGC labels are also black, I believe).

Like Rice mentioned, the parent company is pretty much the gold standard for comics and coins. They seem to be tough but fair and accurate graders, which is what this hobby really needs.

I also think PSA is overrated, but there's a handful of "notable" people in the hobby that keep convincing all the new people that they're the best. That time will end and people will see them for what they are.

My personal rankings:
1 - SGC
2 - CGC (former CSG)
3 - BGS
4 - PSA

I wouldn't touch any of the others, including Tag and HGA unless I got a killer deal on something for my PC.
Kepler

Not a grader. They’re all scams.

Use your eyes to see if a card is in good shape or not.