`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 Adley Rutschman rookies??

2023 Adley Rutschman rookies??
A bit late to the party here, but why does the Beckett online database have some of Rutschman's cards listed as RC and others as (RC) for 2023?

Some are even marked with RC and (RC).

Trying to make sense of it, but I am unable to.

Is this just a case of Beckett being Beckett?

TIA!
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

RE: 2023 Adley Rutschman rookies??
I would refer you to this article concerning RC, (RC), ROO, XRC etc..

https://baseballcardpedia.nfshost.com/in...ookie_Card

LOL

Because Topps screwed up and pretty much included every active young MLB player's RC in 2021 Bowman's Best

The excuse was "we broke our own stupid rule and forgot to number them as inserts"

But many many people choose not to properly recognize 2021 Bowman's Best because they want their non-rookie cards to identify as rookie cards

I think I'm going to go to the grocery store and try to convince them that the $10 bill in my wallet is actually a $100 bill because I want it to be

Again, don't shoot the messenger ... blame MLB, Topps and Beckett for these shenanigans

I don't really go by those stupid dictionary definitions it's very simple RC logo it's a Rc anything else not so much.

(04-01-2024, 05:59 AM)bonds20001 Wrote: I would refer you to this article concerning RC, (RC), ROO, XRC etc..

https://baseballcardpedia.nfshost.com/in...ookie_Card

Yeah, I get all of that. What I don't get is how Rutschman can have RCs and (RC)s in the same year.

According to Beckett, he has 19 RCs and 17 (RC)s all in 2023.. That makes zero sense even by their flawed logic. Either they are all RC or they are all (RC).

(04-01-2024, 10:17 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: LOL

Because Topps screwed up and pretty much included every active young MLB player's RC in 2021 Bowman's Best

The excuse was "we broke our own stupid rule and forgot to number them as inserts"

But many many people choose not to properly recognize 2021 Bowman's Best because they want their non-rookie cards to identify as rookie cards

I think I'm going to go to the grocery store and try to convince them that the $10 bill in my wallet is actually a $100 bill because I want it to be

Again, don't shoot the messenger ... blame MLB, Topps and Beckett for these shenanigans

That would make sense if Beckett deemed all of Rutschman's 2023 cards to be (RC), but they list 19 as RC and 17 as (RC).

Beckett gonna Beckett

To make the aforementioned situation worse, when I realized that 2021 Bowman's Best was "THEE" set to acquire basically everyone's true, actual RCs, the first one I bought was ... wait for it ...

Wander Franco

(04-01-2024, 01:35 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Beckett gonna Beckett

To make the aforementioned situation worse, when I realized that 2021 Bowman's Best was "THEE" set to acquire basically everyone's true, actual RCs, the first one I bought was ... wait for it ...

Wander Franco
Naturally

But I also got ...

Julio Rodriguez
Bobby Witt Jr.
Spencer Torkelson
Marcelo Mayer (refractor)

Haven't got Adley yet because I've been pulling his "rookie cards" out of various Bowman packs since before 2021 Bowman's Best came out.

(04-01-2024, 12:03 PM)chevy man 22 Wrote: I don't really go by those stupid dictionary definitions it's very simple RC logo it's a Rc anything else not so much.
Yeah ... no, not by Beckett's definition of a rookie card

Hence why they go with the brackets on the (RC)

I agree it's the stupidest s--t I've ever seen in the hobby, well, not counting pretty much everything that's happened in the hobby the last 3+ years

Beckett, MLB and Topps were all in cahoots letting Bowman get away with the "insert numbering" thing with their prospects, making actual rookie cards - i.e. first pack pulled cards in MLB uniforms - just prospect cards.

But then 2021 Bowman's Best went rogue and just numbered all of the prospects as base cards, and voila, here we are

Beckett stuck to its guns and called them all RCs and started doing the (RC) thing for the logoed, non-rookie cards that came out in 2022 and beyond

Then people also went rogue and decided they were just going to "identify" their second year, third year and beyond year cards as rookie cards, but ...

No.

My favorite example is Miguel Sano. During the Great Strasburg Chase of 2010, I pulled multiple cards of him in his Twins uniform.

Pack pulled ... MLB uniform ...

But his "rookie logo card" wasn't issued until six years later.

I mean, come on, even the lowest beta rung of collectors don't think a card issued six years later is a guy's rookie card just because of some dumb little logo.

Again, I didn't make nor break the rules. Beckett and Topps did that.

And don't even get me started on putting that stupid logo on checklists, inserts, manufactured mem cards, etc. that aren't even a guy's base card.

And yes, predictably, someone will point out "nuh uh, MLB decides when a player is called up and blah blah blah" ...

Which, again, is Beta Rung, because Topps has managed to screw that up by saving players for upcoming series even though they could have put them in update set (Adley, Elly, Wander even, etc.) the year prior.

Bottom line is, Topps screwed up in 2021 Bowman's Best.