`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats happening to the Pitchers.

Whats happening to the Pitchers.
What the hell is happening to some of the Elite Pitchers. Their going down like flies.
Some experts are blaming it on the time clock.

RE: Whats happening to the Pitchers.
Time Clock plus they are throwing 100+ mph every single pitch. They need to start learning how to pitch rather than throw hard. Sure there were guys before 2010 but the numbers have exploded since then. Travel ball kids are IMO abused the way they are used by coaches at the parents instruction because everyone thinks their kid is going to be the next megastar.

They need more pitching coaches like Maddox, Smoltz, Ryan, Mussina, etc.... Guys who knew how to actually pitch and didn't need to throw their arms off.

Batters being successful basically comes down to timing. Pitchers success basically comes down to upsetting that timing. You don't have to throw 100+ mph to do that. You just have to be crafty.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Even in slow pitch softball I have 3 different types of pitches...

It's like everything else with this generation.

They need to bring back the knuckle ball - that will save pitcher's arms

(04-28-2024, 01:52 AM)chevy man 22 Wrote: Time Clock plus they are throwing 100+ mph every single pitch.  They need to start learning how to pitch rather than throw hard. Sure there were guys before 2010 but the numbers have exploded since then. Travel ball kids are IMO abused the way they are used by coaches at the parents instruction because everyone thinks their kid is going to be the next megastar.

They need more pitching coaches like Maddox, Smoltz, Ryan, Mussina, etc.... Guys who knew how to actually pitch and didn't need to throw their arms off.
Being a travel ball coach of a 13U team here in Texas, I can confirm that a lot of teams aren't teaching their kids HOW to throw, they're just telling them to throw hard.

Personally, I teach all the kids on my team about proper mechanics. Understanding how to work from the lower half of their body to generate natural velocity, not forced velocity. Some of my best pitchers live around 55-60 mph, but they dot the strike zone and get kids out. My kids that throw 65+ have proper mechanics and don't cash out after 40 pitches. Their arms recover quickly unlike others who I've seen start the season throwing gas, but at the mid-point of the season losing 5-7 mph on their fastball with zero control.

If my kids are throwing hard and missing the strike zone, I remind them to work from their legs and take a little bit off. Works nearly every single time. Velo obsession is killing the game.
Courtney Hawkins Supercollector
Always looking for ones we need!
58 cards needed for 1 of each unique card made! (Non 1/1's)

My son was overused in HS and College and spent 2 years in the low minors as a pitcher with lower body strengthening exercises and mechanics and BAND WORK..strengthening the areas most often injured.  He throw a lot and had to have shoulder surgery for bursa fragments, not labrum tear.  He had rotator thinned, but not cut...1000s of innings took its toll at age 25.  He coaches kids on band work, leg strength and location rather than velocity.  100 mph is sexy, but throwing 80 pitches over 7 innings with 2 hits and 1 ER is better for the team overall. Leave the 100 mpg guys to 20 pitches out of the pen..not the starters.  BTW..he threw 3/4 and sliders 50% with a knuckle curve...made some power hitters look bad..

Lack of proper mechanics imo. Ryan was throwing over 100mph for decades. Randy Johnson, too. Their mechanics were better so they didn't blow their arms out.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

I believe the last time Nolan threw out the opening pitch a few years ago, he still was in the 80s despite being over 60 years old.