`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The NIL Era ... Yay or Nay?

RE: The NIL Era ... Yay or Nay?
And Topps/Fanatics just announced they have signed up a bunch of colleges for NIL cards (interestingly enough, it seems that some are not exclusives so that makes me wonder if we will start seeing Sage and Leaf being able to get college licenses again - and maybe will still have the Panini Draft Picks products

Things could get even wilder in the football card world

(06-10-2022, 08:58 AM)ZSDOne Wrote: And Topps/Fanatics just announced they have signed up a bunch of colleges for NIL cards (interestingly enough, it seems that some are not exclusives so that makes me wonder if we will start seeing Sage and Leaf being able to get college licenses again - and maybe will still have the Panini Draft Picks products

Things could get even wilder in the football card world
Couple things about that agreement:

1.  Fanatics/Topps secured exclusive rights to 35+ college "partners" and the majority of the Power 5 starting as early as 2023.  This was negotiated with Collegiate Licensing Company
2.  Fanatics/Topps secured non-exclusive rights and NIL deals with college athletes from more than 100 schools starting this year.
3.  Some major schools like Alabama, Clemson, FSU, Georgia, Kansas, Wisconsin, etc will take effect in 2025.  Likely waiting until previous exclusive deals run their course.

This makes me think that anything falling into item 1 will have logos.  Anything falling into item 2 will not have logos UNTIL item 1 takes effect.  So for 2022 CJ Stroud is lacking logos but if he's in any 2023 products he will have college logos.

Source - https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases...65022.html

They are only listing 35+ teams as exclusives though - they say the "majority" of the Power Five - there are 120 or so Division 1 FBS football teams - there are 300 in Division 1 Basketball - and some major college basketball teams are not within the "Power Five" conferences and do not have major college football (Gonzaga, Villanova) - and there are some good Division 1 FBS football teams with records of producing multiple NFL players - e.g. Memphis that are not Power Five.

Unless they are going to add a lot more teams, it looks like they are going to be unlicensed for many college players if they only have an exclusive license with 35 teams. And if those sort of school based NIL licenses are present, that could further fracture college sports into haves and have nots.

I still have not seen a full list of the schools involved or whether there will be additional schools available - or if other schools will decide to go with other companies as exclusive licensees of the team which could well split (or may well decide to license to multiple companies as was done in the past)

Speaking of college licensing and all, I wouldn't be surprised that when the rights to the Big XII (which still has teams with large fan bases and strong football and basketball programs) comes up if Amazon doesn't make a bid - they have way more money than Disney and a move by Amazon for Big XII rights (the first Grant of Rights could come up) could make Texas and Oklahoma sorry they went with Disney and old media.

Of course, I'm just happy to watch college football burn.

(06-10-2022, 05:20 PM)ZSDOne Wrote: Of course, I'm just happy to watch college football burn.
No slight intended to college football fans out there, but same. It's not the kids or the sport, it's the institution for me.

(06-10-2022, 09:11 PM)jplarson Wrote: No slight intended to college football fans out there, but same.  It's not the kids or the sport, it's the institution for me.
It's always wonderful to see decades of exploitation get turned on it's heads - and to see the players finally get paid right out in the open legally is a good thing.  But since the NCAA model is directed at exploitation of college athletes and the fact that there are still plenty of people going to play college football as a means to get an education, it is going to create an outright dangerous situation where you have teams comprised of professionals going up against teams comprising college students 

At this point, the best case scenario I can see for college football is that the handful of big money teams break off to form a super league - those teams can just play each other as a de facto professional NFL Development League - and really, once that happens, I am not even sure why they'd stay attached to colleges and just not become professional teams.

But that probably won't happen because the Alabamas of the world love having the Vanderbilts of the world in the same conference to give them easy wins.  And that is going to make college football unwatchable.

College is already starting to feel like the NFL anyway with the transfer portal.

I mean, I'm a USC grad and fan, and now we have Oklahoma's coach, QB and best WR, so I kind of just feel like USC is now ... wait for it ... Oklahoma.

So best case scenario we're looking at 10-2 every year (or however many "regular season" games they play now) and maybe losing to Alabama in the CFB playoff semifinals every year so they can play Clemson or Georgia again.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Would love to see Panini (or whoever) exploit the market with the ALL INCLUSIVE Set with a mere 10,000 card base set along with the 50 parallels for each player (similar to Prizm/Mosiac). Now that would be fun and speculative as hell!
With 20+ years collecting, this is the most comprehensive single player collection in the world! Beckett lists 4000+ cards - I'm at 95% completion!
[Image: jaderock-1-1-1.jpg]]

(06-17-2022, 03:08 PM)jaderock Wrote: Would love to see Panini (or whoever) exploit the market with the ALL INCLUSIVE Set with a mere 10,000 card base set along with the 50 parallels for each player (similar to Prizm/Mosiac). Now that would be fun and speculative as hell!
You're just hoping, so you can add to your Mark Brunell collection Tongue LOL
Collecting: Ohio State Buckeyes, Cincinnati Bengals, Chicago Bears

(06-17-2022, 03:19 PM)Speak917 Wrote: You're just hoping, so you can add to your Mark Brunell collection Tongue LOL
Panini will release an All Mark Brunell set with 100 cards and 100 different parallels just for Jaderock

More NIL Fun:

I got an NIL autograph from Leaf Pro Set College - John Emery, Jr. - a running back from LSU.

Let's see how he did last year: "Suspended - Academically Ineligible"

Oh.