Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Idea for Card Companies, Question for Collectors

RE: Idea for Card Companies, Question for Collectors
(06-14-2023, 04:55 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Good examples

And yes, I know 9.99 is quite pricey, but I'm trying to theorize what price point would be worth it for the card companies.
Worth it for card companies and worth it for me are two very different price points in this Great New Collector Gem Fire Banger Bro Era.
Please reach out with any/all inquiries regarding sending me Riley Leonard cards.
WANTS:
RILEY LEONARD/Jake Bobo
Tre Jones
Cam Newton/Christian McCaffrey
2015/2017 Panthers

Remember when redemptions like 1995-96 Collector's Choice basketball had a card you could redeem for an extended 30 card set of rookies and veteran changes?

https://www.tcdb.com/Checklist.cfm/sid/2...t-Exchange

Or 2000 Quantum Leaf 2000 where you send in wrappers for a supplemental set?

[Image: 2000quantum.jpg]

There were ways and methods to expand the checklist for veterans, trade/FA transactions, and rookies to be part of the main set.  I mean I get why they keep including the same 3-5 players for each set.  You want to see Mahomes and Kelce in every release.  Fine, I get it.  I don't see why they don't include more of a mid-level start as the 4th team card.  If a collector put their mind to it, they could put together close to a team set by chasing all their players across all the sets Panini releases.  That would get people interested in all their brands.

This is a mock up of a set idea I came up with a couple years ago.  I won't include all the "sell sheets" I made but it'll give you an idea.  It's obviously inspired by Topps Total.  The cardstock and printing used would make it idea for in-person or through the mail autographs, light on the gloss and huge for set collectors.  Not a high end product but it would capture almost 200 rookies.  Each team would have 12 veteran players. 

I know multiplayer cards aren't for everyone but as a low end SKU with the potential for a diamond in the rough rookie, it could make it a popular enough set for a company to break even on and grow the next generation of collectors.  Which Panini CLAIMS to do while they raise the prices of blasters and hangers and generally make the hobby unavailable.

[Image: ss1.jpg]

[Image: ss2.jpg]

[Image: ss5.jpg]

(06-15-2023, 09:06 AM)CMCFan22 Wrote: Worth it for card companies and worth it for me are two very different price points in this Great New Collector Gem Fire Banger Bro Era.
Correct.

It might make more sense for them to offer entire teams for sale, like they do with the Super Bowl champions.

If I could get a 53-man team set for say, $49.99 or less, I might go for it.

(06-15-2023, 09:01 AM)ZSDOne Wrote: I'm not quite sure how the 53 man roster card set would work since those do not stay constant throughout the season.

But let's say you make a 70 card set - 53 man roster plus practice squad as of the start of the season plus some coaches and maybe add in the team mascot or something - sell it at $69.99 and it would almost assuredly make money
Or set a date for the roster cutoff, as in the roster as of the opening game or something.

(06-15-2023, 09:46 AM)jplarson Wrote: Remember when redemptions like 1995-96 Collector's Choice basketball had a card you could redeem for an extended 30 card set of rookies and veteran changes?

https://www.tcdb.com/Checklist.cfm/sid/2...t-Exchange

Or 2000 Quantum Leaf 2000 where you send in wrappers for a supplemental set?

[Image: 2000quantum.jpg]

There were ways and methods to expand the checklist for veterans, trade/FA transactions, and rookies to be part of the main set.  I mean I get why they keep including the same 3-5 players for each set.  You want to see Mahomes and Kelce in every release.  Fine, I get it.  I don't see why they don't include more of a mid-level start as the 4th team card.  If a collector put their mind to it, they could put together close to a team set by chasing all their players across all the sets Panini releases.  That would get people interested in all their brands.
Yep, it would require getting creative, which hasn't been a strong suit the last few years.

Or, if they were actually smart, to riff on your idea a little bit, tell collectors ahead of time that they're going to release 10 different sets this year, each with four different base cards per team per set or whatever.

They might actually sell more product that way ... I would go for all the retail releases if I knew, for example, Goff was only in Prestige, St. Brown was only in Score, Hutchinson was only in Select, or whatever, and that was the only way to get current cards of those guys.

(Think of Chronicles, but like, in reverse.)

So at the end of the collecting season, you'd have 40 different Detroit Lions across 10 products.

This could actually work.

(06-15-2023, 09:01 AM)ZSDOne Wrote: I'm not quite sure how the 53 man roster card set would work since those do not stay constant throughout the season.

But let's say you make a 70 card set - 53 man roster plus practice squad as of the start of the season plus some coaches and maybe add in the team mascot or something - sell it at $69.99 and it would almost assuredly make money
I thought of a "complete" football set a while back as well...man a 70 card team set x 32 teams is 2240 base cards!!!
With 20+ years collecting, this is the most comprehensive single player collection in the world! Beckett lists 4000+ cards - I'm at 95% completion!
[Image: jaderock-1-1-1.jpg]]

Imagine how many parallels and inserts that set would or could include.
Collecting: Ohio State Buckeyes, Cincinnati Bengals, Chicago Bears

(06-16-2023, 08:55 AM)Speak917 Wrote: Imagine how many parallels and inserts that set would or could include.
Yeah, you could do that, just like they do for the rest of the Instant stuff.

Autos or jersey cards too or whatever.

But my concept is cheap (hopefully) base cards for team collectors to round out their PCs.

It's kind of like why the NFL has never made single, out-of-market games available on pay-per-view ... seems like a very easy money maker for them if the tipping point is right as far as the price.

Example ... there's no way my family would be patient enough for me to have the NFL Sunday Ticket to watch all 17 Lions games.

But, say for example, first weekend in December, the fam decides to go Christmas shopping without me, so I have enough time on a random Sunday to watch the Lions. 

I woud gladly pay like $19.99 for the single game.

Obviously the NFL would be concerned about people bypassing the Sunday Ticket price by ordering single games every weekend, but as always there are ways to moderate this ... only allow four single games per season per account, or one per month or billing cycle or whatever.

Clearly if these people would hire me for great ideas like this, they'd be much better off.

(06-16-2023, 09:48 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Obviously the NFL would be concerned about people bypassing the Sunday Ticket price by ordering single games every weekend, but as always there are ways to moderate this ... only allow four single games per season per account, or one per month or billing cycle or whatever.
The easiest way to prevent people paying for individual games rather than Sunday Ticket is make Sunday Ticket the more affordable option - Sunday Ticket costs $400 for a season long pass without a Youtube TV contract - that is $22.22 a week or $300 without Youtube TV - that's $16.67.  But both plans allow you to watch every game.  For individual games, if you pay $20 a game, that is $340 a year ($40 more than the entire package with a Youtube subscription) - if you go to $25,  you're looking at $425 to watch every game of one team.

However, some teams are going to have locally available games some weeks - but even if you just watch 8 games at $20 that is $160 - make it $25 and it's $200.  Make it $30, and at 8 games for just one team you're paying $240.  With the 8 games you would reach the lowest price for the entire package at $37.50 per game.  But say there are 10 out of market games purchased - at $20 that is $200, at $25 that is $250 - 3 that is $300 (the price of the same season with the subscription - even without a subscription, that is $40

So even assuming that half of the games aren't televised locally, a $40 price per game is likely sufficient to end up paying more than the overall season (but say you can only watch a couple of games of your team that paying that cost might be worth it.

And even $20 per game is much higher than the entire package subscribers are paying - even without the contract they are only paying a few dollars per game.  And that would be nothing but profit for the NFL

Of course, I suspect that their broadcast contracts prohibit that - but given that they are already going towards having games on streaming platforms and the NFL Network they will eventually go entirely to PPV if they can get away with it.    Currently they still let the local market watch - but local means local - the Washington station will have the Commanders games, but the Richmond station won't even though the Commanders have their training camp in Richmond and it's definitely part of the local market (and they have proposed building a stadium in a site that it is usually quicker to get to from downtown Richmond than downtown D.C.)