Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Idea for Card Companies, Question for Collectors

Idea for Card Companies, Question for Collectors
Gem Fire Banger Bros,

I finally found a card of Lions star rookie safety Kerby Joseph - he's in the new Score Select release.

Grabbed one cheap on DBay, so I'm good there. Assuming it shows up.

But fellow Lions rookie standout James Houston still doesn't have a card despite putting up 8 sacks this year.

I really miss the days of sets like Upper Deck XL/40 Man and Topps Total, where the checklists were expanded to include more obscure role players.

Perfect example ... current Lions head coach Dan Campbell's only card when he played for Detroit was on a triple player card in Topps Total.

It got me thinking (uh oh) ... wouldn't it be great if Panini or Topps or whoever eventually ends up with the various licenses would extend their Instant/Now/on demand technology to offer base cards of players not available in the mainstream sets?

Meaning, you could go on their website and order any player on any team (assuming they were legit roster players and not preseason/late season/practice squad type guys).

Another example ... in the last couple of years the Lions have had All-Pro or Pro Bowl players like punter Jack Fox and guard Jonah Jackson.

But to this day, three or more years into their careers, neither one has a card.

So my question (short story long) is this ... what is the thread-the-needle price point that you would be willing to pay per card versus what you think the card companies would do it for?

For me, if it were to round out my PC for guys like Fox and Jackson, I would go as high as 9.99 per card, but shipping would have to be free.

What do you think?

RE: Idea for Card Companies, Question for Collectors
I'd go $4.99 for a card. Even then, that's pricey.

I like those cards of short-lived Panthers players. CJ Anderson played for the Panthers for part of a season, and his only Panthers card (as far as I know) is a Playoff auto card (various parallels). Gerald McCoy played in 2019 for the Panthers; his only card is a Contenders auto (always looking for both, hint hint collectors).
Please reach out with any/all inquiries regarding sending me Riley Leonard cards.
WANTS:
RILEY LEONARD/Jake Bobo
Tre Jones
Cam Newton/Christian McCaffrey
2015/2017 Panthers

(06-14-2023, 01:37 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Gem Fire Banger Bros,

I finally found a card of Lions star rookie safety Kerby Joseph - he's in the new Score Select release.

Grabbed one cheap on DBay, so I'm good there. Assuming it shows up.

But fellow Lions rookie standout James Houston still doesn't have a card despite putting up 8 sacks this year.

I really miss the days of sets like Upper Deck XL/40 Man and Topps Total, where the checklists were expanded to include more obscure role players.

Perfect example ... current Lions head coach Dan Campbell's only card when he played for Detroit was on a triple player card in Topps Total.

It got me thinking (uh oh) ... wouldn't it be great if Panini or Topps or whoever eventually ends up with the various licenses would extend their Instant/Now/on demand technology to offer base cards of players not available in the mainstream sets?

Meaning, you could go on their website and order any player on any team (assuming they were legit roster players and not preseason/late season/practice squad type guys).

Another example ... in the last couple of years the Lions have had All-Pro or Pro Bowl players like punter Jack Fox and guard Jonah Jackson.

But to this day, three or more years into their careers, neither one has a card.

So my question (short story long) is this ... what is the thread-the-needle price point that you would be willing to pay per card versus what you think the card companies would do it for?

For me, if it were to round out my PC for guys like Fox and Jackson, I would go as high as 9.99 per card, but shipping would have to be free.

What do you think?
I would agree with your assessment on the pricing........by the way - I am literally LMAO as I write this, BUT what IF they turned out GEM FIRE BANGER 1/1's !!!!!!!  and all the  SSP cards then the sky's the limit!!!!! JP could easily do this for you Wink

Everyone knows that a Stanley Wilson (from the Bengals) would fetch a hefty price.
Collecting: Ohio State Buckeyes, Cincinnati Bengals, Chicago Bears

I paid for the Panini Eagles Super Bowl set that at least included every starter (I believe) - that got some guys who didn't have a lot of cards - I think it was about a $1 a card.

I actually went to high school for someone who played several years in the NFL as a starter at Center - as far as I can tell, he never had a single football card released

(06-14-2023, 03:08 PM)Speak917 Wrote: I would agree with your assessment on the pricing........by the way - I am literally LMAO as I write this, BUT what IF they turned out GEM FIRE BANGER 1/1's !!!!!!!  and all the  SSP cards then the sky's the limit!!!!! JP could easily do this for you Wink

Everyone knows that a Stanley Wilson (from the Bengals) would fetch a hefty price.
JP has done so much for me (as have you) over the last however long, I just can't ask him to do that.

But you're right, he's very good at it.

There are some Stanley Wilson cards on DBay (if it's the same guy), but yeah, no Bengals stuff.

So that would be a perfect candidate for my idea!

(06-14-2023, 03:13 PM)ZSDOne Wrote: I paid for the Panini Eagles Super Bowl set that at least included every starter (I believe) - that got some guys who didn't have a lot of cards - I think it was about a $1 a card.

I actually went to high school for someone who played several years in the NFL as a starter at Center - as far as I can tell, he never had a single football card released
That's exactly what I'm saying ... for example, if they offered a complete 53-man roster of the Lions, I would gladly pay like $39.99 for one.

(06-14-2023, 03:05 PM)CMCFan22 Wrote: I'd go $4.99 for a card. Even then, that's pricey.

I like those cards of short-lived Panthers players. CJ Anderson played for the Panthers for part of a season, and his only Panthers card (as far as I know) is a Playoff auto card (various parallels). Gerald McCoy played in 2019 for the Panthers; his only card is a Contenders auto (always looking for both, hint hint collectors).
Good examples

And yes, I know 9.99 is quite pricey, but I'm trying to theorize what price point would be worth it for the card companies.

This is exactly the reason I stopped collecting football in 2017. 4 to 6 guys from a team are jammed down your throat whether you like them or not, while my favorites players never show up on a card.

And, some others only have a RC and perhaps an insert the 2nd year.

Baseball has also been doing this (specific players) unless you buy into the large sets like Topps Series 1 & 2.

(06-14-2023, 07:48 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: This is exactly the reason I stopped collecting football in 2017.  4 to 6 guys from a team are jammed down your throat whether you like them or not, while my favorites players never show up on a card.

And, some others only have a RC and perhaps an insert the 2nd year.

Baseball has also been doing this (specific players) unless you buy into the large sets like Topps Series 1 & 2.
Exactly. Can’t tell you how many sets have nearly identical checklists every year.

(06-14-2023, 04:53 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: That's exactly what I'm saying ... for example, if they offered a complete 53-man roster of the Lions, I would gladly pay like $39.99 for one.
I'm not quite sure how the 53 man roster card set would work since those do not stay constant throughout the season.

But let's say you make a 70 card set - 53 man roster plus practice squad as of the start of the season plus some coaches and maybe add in the team mascot or something - sell it at $69.99 and it would almost assuredly make money