`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You know it's time to quit the hobby when...

RE: You know it's time to quit the hobby when...
For sure! Bowman draft was flat out ridiculous this year!

.....when a decline of members and friends here are trading less and less

(02-27-2024, 09:54 AM)jbissell Wrote: For sure! Bowman draft was flat out ridiculous this year!
I did a little research on it...still $800+ for Super Jumbo box with 5 autographs.  More than 60% of autos available are $8 value, and only 4 or 5 are valued at $100+ so after spending over $800 you might get $250 of autographs, with the rare colored auto racking it up to $500.

Exactly. I mean, I guess its a "wait and see" type product, but most of the time, its just an insane gamble.

(02-28-2024, 08:59 AM)jbissell Wrote: Exactly. I mean, I guess its a "wait and see" type product, but most of the time, its just an insane gamble.
Plus, only opening 5 packs is not as much fun!

(02-25-2024, 10:01 PM)jhyde77 Wrote: - when  the latest hobby Bowman box is $300+

- when 1 table at a card show has single packs

- when there are no tables at the local flea market with any cards

I will probably never quit completely. I’m just taking a break. The spike in prices after Covid has made it less fun for me.
Unfortunatly, I think the Covid price spikes are here to stay. Blame the greed of the Players and leagues because of how much they want now to allow cards to be made.

When there are so many products it takes until 2024 to get all of 2023 released, 3 months after the WS ended.
When the new Topps set has 29 non 1 of 1 parallels to each player. Being a team collector that is ridiculous.

Going to pretend it was like in 1970 when I started and just collect base cards. Will go for inserts and parallels in trades only.

The price increases are due to the idiot COVID collectors buying everything and flipping it.

The card companies took notice and understandably raised prices, both to increasae their take and slim the margins on the COVID collector idiots.

In Iowa several Walmart's still had a bunch of 2023 topps that was selling for half price. I think people just didn't buy a lot at regular price. I think topps and other cards are pricing themselves out.  I realize card companies have to make money but you still need to have cards that average buyers can buy. Card collecting is not just for breakers and high end collectors.

(03-04-2024, 07:17 PM)ambrsa Wrote: In Iowa several Walmart's still had a bunch of 2023 topps that was selling for half price. I think people just didn't buy a lot at regular price. I think topps and other cards are pricing themselves out.  I realize card companies have to make money but you still need to have cards that average buyers can buy. Card collecting is not just for breakers and high end collectors.
The Wal-Marts here almost always have discounted Topps baseball products now - apparently Fanatics is printing them to the Moon!