`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You know it's time to quit the hobby when...

You know it's time to quit the hobby when...
1.  You are a Wander Franco supercollector.
2.  Your new neighbor just found a box of 1949 thru 1968 cards in their attic where you just helped the seller install new ductwork (and you did not see them).
3.  The only boxes you can find to bust are 2023 Panini products.
4.  Your spouse did some spring cleaning that included where you keep your oldest cards.
5.  Fanatics buys Topps.

RE: You know it's time to quit the hobby when...
How many of these apply to you Kerry?

Facts

(08-29-2023, 03:33 PM)akaus Wrote: How many of these apply to you Kerry?
#3 & #5

It's no longer any fun. Even with all the BS and shenanigans, there are over 150 years of cards, there are always things that interest me, and go down the rabbit holes. I make the hobby fun for me.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

- when  the latest hobby Bowman box is $300+

- when 1 table at a card show has single packs

- when there are no tables at the local flea market with any cards

I will probably never quit completely. I’m just taking a break. The spike in prices after Covid has made it less fun for me.
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

The spike in prices for sure...

Anymore, my favorite aspects of the hobby are collecting 1st Bowman Chrome prospects, and base Topps rookie cards.

Prospecting in particular has become so incredibly expensive. Anything Bowman is insanely expensive.

If a jumbo pack of Bowman draft is going to cost $50, it should consist only of chrome cards and not 75% Bowman paper.

it's all cyclical I remember back around 2005 or 2006 I was probably one of few collectors who would only put together paper RC logo sets and everyone laughed because prospecting and 1st Bowman was the trend then Harper and Trout happened and all of a sudden everybody and their brother jumped on the paper Rc logo train then the Gem Mnt Grading craze came along and tens of thousands of paper base Rc's were sent for grading until there were so many 10's that they weren't rare or a big deal anymore and now it's back to being laughed at as nobody wants paper base again. Now if it's not #'d out of 10 or less it's junk wax.

I agree you have to keep the hobby fun. I have several vintage cards  including mantles, musial, and banks. Most of them are not in the best condition but i collect them because I liked them. I like to buy a little bit of retail every year just to have fun ripping packs. Most of the retail I don't get my money back but it is fun and if I do get a decent hit it makes it better. I did realize this year to worry more about players i like instead of the hype. i had a little bit of investing in Franco along with pulling a low numbered auto in Topps gallery of his. One thing that helps is I buy to keep my cards and I think people who try to flip the cards it just becomes stressful.

(02-26-2024, 10:09 AM)jbissell Wrote: If a jumbo pack of Bowman draft is going to cost $50, it should consist only of chrome cards and not 75% Bowman paper.

Whoa! $50 a pack? I’ve been out of the loop. They should consist of all Chrome and an auto. They really priced me out of collecting Bowman.
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.