`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
LOLeaf

RE: LOLeaf
(02-16-2024, 12:38 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Even less interested in these than pickleball, which I didn't think was possible, other than the Pop Century autos.

Memo to Leaf ... just because you "can" ... doesn't mean you "should"
Pop Century has a following from people interested in celebrity cards and non-sports collectors - but the issue I see with it is that generally there are a few big autographs that will sell for large amounts of money and a bunch of very low end autos that fill out the boxes and checklists

And if you want the low end autos, why buy a box when you can buy the individual cards or other autographed items for less - and if you want the high end autos, why buy a box to chase them when you have a tiny chance of pulling them

and since the product contains people across music, film, television, even some fairly random people it's difficult to imagine someone wants everything they pull - with football cards or even pickleball cards, it appeals to people who are fans - but it's difficult to imagine that someone wants both someone from a 1970s television program and a modern rapper.

I like Allen & Ginter and Golden Age (Panini's Golden Age was a great low cost break - especially since hobby boxes were cheap and the blasters ended up being discounted - and the blasters were pretty good, they had the music relics which were all legends (Hank Williams, Sr, Willie Nelson, Liberace, Joey Ramone, Frank Sinatra, Sr., and Elvis Presley) -  unfortunately, I didn't get the Joey Ramone relic I wanted, but I did get Willie Nelson, Liberace, Hank Williams, Sr, and Elvis Presley - I even got an auto out of one of the blasters (boxer Michael Spinks - was a redemption that was expired, but Panini shipped it out and I got it - it's my only boxing autograph card) - Topps American Pie and Panini Americana were both pretty cool as well - but Allen & Ginter is mainly baseball - Golden Age, American Pie, and Americana were all more history based 

But the thing about Pop Cenutry is it is all current people that Leaf could get to sign stickers for them and while I like the historic approach or mixing sports and history/celebrity, I'm not that into it.

Pop Century is at least a pretty big product in the non-sports market

Well said, agreed.

New weekly Pop Century release

You go to love it when card companies make it easy to make fun of them

Week 3 Checklist:

John Tavolta

Unless there is some reality star named John Tavolta I've never heard of - in which case the card which says John Travolta who I actually have heard of is wrong.

I would actually go for a Travolta/Samuel L. Jackson double sig combo card from Pulp Fiction.

(02-26-2024, 07:44 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: I would actually go for a Travolta/Samuel L. Jackson double sig combo card from Pulp Fiction.
That would be a nice card 

I'm not sure if Leaf ever got Jackson to sign since Jackson would without a doubt be the auto which has much more value of that pair - Travolta has kind of ruined his value with the bizarre Scientology related behavior - but that would be a very high demand card

I bet JP could come up with an awesome one.

Leaf holiday packs are down to $12.99

Announcement for 2024 Leaf Metal Football - of particular note one of the autographs they are promoting in the announcement is Jayden Daniels which means that it appears that Leaf is finally going to be releasing Jayden Daniels autographs

Of course, Leaf was there in 2022 - but it's always good news to see players signing with multiple card companies - exclusives are no good for anyone

Facts

An auto of a player used to be a given for anyone I was collecting … now so many prices are so high I don’t ever bother trying.

Got two more Leaf 1 of 1 Proof Packs - Romeo Doubs Valiant (nice looking card) and Xavier Worthy Pro Set - shows the mix of players in the 2022 and 2023 Leaf products since Doubs already has two years in the NFL and Worthy is a 2024 Draft Pick - I've seen some buzz about Worthy to the Eagles using one of their two 2nd round picks so hopefully that happens

This wasn't as fun as some of them I've opened since I already have multiple Doubs and Worthy autos - in fact, I have licensed autos of both (Doubs, Panini Green Bay Packers and Worthy Bowman U Chrome Texas Longhorns) so it wasn't as exciting - but I'm still adding one of these to each Leaf order at $24.99 as long as they have them. Because I know it's Leaf and I know that the Pre Production Proofs don't sell as well as "true" 1 of 1 - but it's still a 1 of 1 auto at the price of most blasters - and I haven't gotten a bad one yet